please post pictures of your refugium/sump

caz

yep... just an overflow box.. The overflow box will drain equally to whatever the pump is pumping (given that your overflow can handle it). The aquarium sealant I used has worked great so far (still has to set 24-48 hours). I bought it from petsmart and I used 2 full tubes. It looks kind of messy, but I think it should hold without a problem.

mythrenody

Thanks!
I heard that a certain brand of overflow boxes have a prolbem with em,which one is it so i can avoid it

caz

Not sure? I've got a slim dual drain overflow box off e.b.a.y. and it works fine... just kind of sucked because it was the first acrylic I had to put together. It's not hard at all though.

vito525

I heard the aquaC had problems, I got a hurricane filter for half the price and it has the U tube design which has performed excellently after 2 electric outtages. The Rio 1700 works just fine, I'm looking for nutrient export so I want a slower flow.

vito525

I don't have the exact measurments for the baffles, but they span the width of the tank and are about 1.5" shorter than the height of the tank. I used aquarium sealent and a t-square to put the baffles in. The ones that the water travels under are harder to put in, just put something underneath until the sealent sets. Once everything cures for 24 - 36 hours, I set the fuge underneath, transferred the LS and LR, carefully filled it up, set up the skimmer, then I primed the overflow, held my breath and fired up the return pump. It took a little adjusting of the pump and the overflow box but now it's running fine.

zenway9

when you filled it up, how much did you put in it. this is an issue i am struggling with. first you top off your main tank, right?

vito525

the inside baffle on the left is a little (1/2") taller than the inside return baffle creating a downhill effect and allowing more room for water in case my power fails and water drains into the fuge from the MT (which has happened twice). My guess is that the fuge holds 16 - 17 gallons.

caz

well I'm excited vito! It looks like it will work great. It's not on the tank b/c I need to pick up some rubble and ls. I used the think plexi like you did and it looks like it will work fine. I stuck it together w/ the acrylic sealant and was very generous. It's real solid! I can't wait to get it running. I'll be putting my mag 9.5 in it so we'll see how it handles the flow. If it's too much, I've got a ball-valve on it to turn it down. Thanks for the help!! :)

caz

oh and I nearly maxed out the volume which is risky for overflowing purposes, but I wanted to use as much as possible!

caz

I like my mag... I've got a dual drain overflow box that I bought off ---- as a kit to assemble. It should work well with this new setup... we will see.

squidd

Here's an older picture of mine...Sump/fuge in basement ...
Pump in center design water fed to bothe skimmer side and fuge side...then meet in center to be pumped up...

Here's the basic layout, prefered if you want to control flow rates thru skimmer and fuge seperate...

brolik1

Hey squidd is that a DIY auto top off you have on the right side of the pic(blue water jug)?I have one of those, if it is how did you do it and what do I need?

squidd

Yes, that's what I used to use for "Drip" ATO and Kalk addition...
Basic water jug from grocer...add a 1/2" cap to valve and then drill and "air valve" for "fine" drip adjustment...

Two upgrades later I use a float valve in sump powered by RO that goes thru a Kalk Reactor...

mythrenody

Just wondering what would be a good setup for a 55g Main tank and a 20gal sump/fuge. Pumps and OF options
All i can find are the CPR OFs