Please read i really need help...

fish1031

I have a 55g QT with a grouper, sohal tang, and queen angel
the grouper looks really bad...
it is gasping for air
all parameters are good except for .5 nitrite
other fish like fine
should i move the fish to DT or just keep doing water changes.

scsinet

What mechanism are you using to aerate the water?
I don't know how big these fish are but if they are fully grown that QT is incredibly crowded, perhaps they are literally consuming all of the dissolved oxygen.

clown boy

Originally Posted by fish1031
it is gasping for air
other fish like fine
Gasping for air? Or water? (sorry, couldn't help it...
)
A Grouper in a 55? What SCSInet said may very well be true...

fish1031

it is only 3-4in all of the three fish... i just have the powerheads and HOB filters
should i add an areator bubbler
they have been fine for weeks

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by fish1031
it is gasping for air
other fish like fine

If you have a sohal in a 55 you should be beaten!

lawman

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
Beaten? don't you think that is a bit harsh for someone who has a 55 gal QT? I actually took the time to look at the profile of this person and found that they have a 180 gal DT.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by lawman
Beaten? don't you think that is a bit harsh for someone who has a 55 gal QT? I actually took the time to look at the profile of this person and found that they have a 180 gal DT.
Nope, I stand behind that comment, I would never even put a sohal in anything under a 220.

watertight

You couldn't put the grouper into the dt? What have you got in that at the moment? From my ver limited experience with groupers, there's not too many fish they seem to get along with....

scsinet

Nope, I stand behind that comment, I would never even put a sohal in anything under a 220.
IMO this is a bit harsh. This is a QT tank! Are you saying he should have a 220 gallon quarantine tank?

fish1031

Originally Posted by SCSInet
IMO this is a bit harsh. This is a QT tank! Are you saying he should have a 220 gallon quarantine tank?
yeah seriously calm down
i know so many more people with way larger fish in a 55g tank than 3in and its permanent
this is a temporary thing so just keep to yourself

mcbdz

Why are you QTing this many fish at one time. This is a large bio load to add at one time.
I would keep doing water changes. If something is wrong with the grouper you don't want to put it in you dt. I'd wait and see how it recovers. Maybe add some more circulation.

ccampbell57

This is a QT tank dude! READ THE THREAD. He is getting ready to put them into a HUGE tank.

ccampbell57

Fish - if the grouper looks bad then put him in front of a power head. See if there is anyway you can inspect him fully to see if there are any problems with him.
I have a 55g QT tank for my fish as well and when they got ick a while back my puffer was acting the same way. I had to do a couple of 20% water changes to get him back in to the swing of things.
IMO if the Queen is doing well in there and the tang is not showing signs of stress, then there is something wrong with the grouper (not the water).

ccampbell57

so when you QT your tangs do you put them in a 180+ QT tank? I saw from previous posts that you have 4 very large tangs in a 125? How did you get them there? You have since upgraded I would assume, but the tang police would have something to say about that.
Just curious cause if they were not QT'd in a 180 then you should be beaten as well? There is no need to be negative for no reason Tang. People are here to get help.
Plus, I think that Fish's Mappa puffer would eat all of your tangs...

sk8shorty01

and I am sure that every person that owns a tang has a 220 for a QT... Dont bash someone that is using a QT that is as large as most peoples DT on here. Sure a 55 is not a suitable tank for a Sohal for its entire life, but I am sure a month in QT will be ok for the fish. Dont post if you are not going to help, its just a waste of everyones time.

fish1031

Originally Posted by mcbdz
Why are you QTing this many fish at one time. This is a large bio load to add at one time.
I would keep doing water changes. If something is wrong with the grouper you don't want to put it in you dt. I'd wait and see how it recovers. Maybe add some more circulation.

they are not all going into the same tank
i agree with you on not adding it
i will update everyone when i get home tonight
i will add another powerhead
thanks

fish1031

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
Fish - if the grouper looks bad then put him in front of a power head. See if there is anyway you can inspect him fully to see if there are any problems with him.
I have a 55g QT tank for my fish as well and when they got ick a while back my puffer was acting the same way. I had to do a couple of 20% water changes to get him back in to the swing of things.
IMO if the Queen is doing well in there and the tang is not showing signs of stress, then there is something wrong with the grouper (not the water).
campbell thanks for all your help and standing up for me here
i will do some water changes and add a powerhead
i agree the grouper should be more hardy that the queen and sohal