please reccomend a reef safe dwarf angel.

lonestar

I had a coral beauty for about a year with no problems. I then added a flame and it picked at almost everything. Once they are in there, they are a pain to get out. I then moved to a new location and the 2 dwarfs did not go back into the tank. I agree that they are "hit and miss". I now have a male and female Japanese Swallowtail angel (actually I have had a female once before). Never have seen them pick at anything. They are not quite as small as a dwarf. I think they get about 7" long. I have also only heard good about the Watanabe (a little less that 6"), and the Lamarck (about 9"). I personally have only had experience with the Swallowtail. It is perfect for a reef in my opinion.
Jeremy

emperor11

Originally Posted by LoneStar
I had a coral beauty for about a year with no problems. I then added a flame and it picked at almost everything. Once they are in there, they are a pain to get out. I then moved to a new location and the 2 dwarfs did not go back into the tank. I agree that they are "hit and miss". I now have a male and female Japanese Swallowtail angel (actually I have had a female once before). Never have seen them pick at anything. They are not quite as small as a dwarf. I think they get about 7" long. I have also only heard good about the Watanabe (a little less that 6"), and the Lamarck (about 9"). I personally have only had experience with the Swallowtail. It is perfect for a reef in my opinion.
Jeremy
Yep, the Swallowtails are often reef safe, but the problem with that genus, is that they dont even look like angels! They look like damsels!!
WHICH I HATE!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by ShrimpDady
How do you come to that conclusion?
I believe that it is wrong to say that none are reef safe.
Many people have had coral beauty angels in a reef long term without problems.
My vote is for the coral beauty. I have one and it picks at the algae on my rocks and glass.
I have mushrooms, frogspawn, zoos, and a brain and the angel has never touched them.
Beth, please do not take offense. I usually agree with you, but not on this one.
Just my opinion.

Some may get lucky and find a dwarf that will settle in and not eat up your LR fauna or pick at your corals. That would be lucky, but that would not warrant a designation that the species is "reef safe". Reef safe means that the species does not cause a problem to reef tank fauna, corals, inverts. No one can say that about angels. Doesn't mean that you can't keep an angel in a reef tank. It just means that if that fish decides to munch down on something you rather she didn't, don't blame the fish.
In the forums, it is always a good idea to set the record straight so that other new hobbyists are not misinformed.

landolakes

Beth is definately right about the angels. You can never call a duck a chicken and believe it but it doesnt mean that you cant have a duck who lives with and thinks hes a chicken. (grew up on farm) I have kept a flame with my softies aand lps for a year now with no problems and know of many other tanks with the same success. I also know of dwarfs that had a field day. Feed a variety of foods and keep pretty full and you should have better success, know my question is, are there any animals that are reef safe? Everything that lives on a reef eats something else that lives on a reef so technicaly no, we just dont mind them eatind algae and pods but I think the pods would argue the reef safe designation.LOL just my 2cents

emperor11

Google "tank bred pygmy angelfish." You'll find it. I can't post the site, or give you my email address...its against the rules.

greenchrom

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Google "tank bred pygmy angelfish." You'll find it. I can't post the site, or give you my email address...its against the rules.

Ya sorry i realized that after i posted. thnks

promisetbg

Get a Bellus angel..it is not a Centropyge..it is a genicanthus in the family Pomacanthidae
and considered a better risk with corals. Beautiful too..I have a female and am waiting for a male to arrive next week.

eyebedam

I got a fireball that doesnt mess with my corals atleast while im watching anyways. On another note I have a Regal Tang in 1 of my other tanks that has a strong appetite for xenia & zooanthids. Actually he likes anything that blows around. Arent they supposed to be reef safe? Ive had it for a couple years So im not getting rid of it though.

eyebedam

People taken by CONNOR

[hr]
I have contacted the St. John's county Sheriff's department regarding what he has done.
I also have his home phone number if anyone would like to contact him.
Please contact me at

unbreakabl

connor you shouldnt be on this message board if you are just going to lie about trading corals. Nobody deal with this punk or help him out.

modhatr

Originally Posted by ModHatr
wantanabei angel...ive had mine for a year and had no problems.....
heres a pic of my wantanabei

O

oreo12

My pigmi eats xeina if you have xeina from one of them trades gone wild then don't get a piggmi.

reckler

I have a midnight black angle and he only has been eating the sponges in the tank. he don't bother any of the fish or the corals.

acrylic51

I have a Bi Color that for years didn't touch anything, then 1 day he just decided to munch GSP.....My Coral Beauty doesn't touch a thing......and my flame is an occasional picker.....

ravennreef

You are taking a chance getting one but a lot of people do and have no problems. I took the chance on a flame and it was a perfect tank mate. I would say if you really want one and are willing to take a risk, go for it. I guess it depend on if you like vegas or not. :thinking:

mr. guitar

I say go with a Coral Beauty. I've had mine forever and I've had no problems with it. It doesn't pick on any of my Soft, LPS, or SPS corals. In my opinion it's the toughest angel becuase mine survived an entire fish wipeout. I had about 12 fish and they just started to die off. The only thing that survived was the Coral Beauty.

wanabebell

Originally Posted by ModHatr
wantanabei angel...ive had mine for a year and had no problems.....

Mine too it makes a really pretty show to see a male and a female together
ive got a female tho

seegert

I realize that many people have been taken by Connor ( in which I completely agree was very wrong on his part), but I also realize that if no one gives him advice on fish that some poor fish that he may know nothing about may suffer without your advice. In no way do I agree with him, but I don't feel any creature should suffer from his wrong doings. I am not trying to offend anyone, I am just thinking of the fish he may purchase.