Please Recommend A Skimmer

petekc

I have a 55 fowlr. I would like to spend between $50-$200 on a skimmer. I would like the opinions of the more experienced as I am still quite the newbie.

hondo

do you have a sump on the 55? If not then you need a HOB (hang on the back) skimmer. Prizm (I currently have one) is one of the best low cost skimmers around. Others recomend seaclone but I've never tried one just hear people recomending them. CPR bacpak (I have used this with no real complaints) is another option but a little more expensive and it comes with a biobale filtration section that you really do not want to use. Also most if not all of these can also be used with a sump system.

krusk

where is your tank located in the house?
living room? basement?
Primz skimmer is lound if you put it in your living room or next to your bed room, perfectly good for basement.
if you can spend that much I would go with CPR BakPAk 2
more quite, cost little more

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How much more quiet is the CPR? I have a prizm that I currently run on my QT which is in my computer room. When I used it in the living room, the noise drove us nuts. I since replaced the propeller and it makes less noise, but I'd really like to find the quietest skimmer I can find [HOB] for the reef tank in my living room.
BTW: The old seaclone has got to be the biggest lemon there ever was in this hobby. I can't speak to the alleged newly designed model, except to say that anything would likely be better than what it was.

buckey

Is this prizm skimmer you speak of made by red sea? I see they also make a more expensive hang on called berlin skimmer. Does anyone have any recomendations on it?

Berlin Air Lift by Red Sea is what I use. There are better skimmers out there but for the price, I like the Berlin. I clean the retainer cup every 3 days and every time it is about 1/5 full with GUNK so I know it is working to a point at least.
My buddy has a Prizm and he likes it but it is louder than anything...the Berlin I have is virtually silent.

junior

did alot of research myself, your going to spend some money on this, but don't cheet yourself, your going to spend a least $100.00. and if your new to the hobby your going to wish later on that you spent $200.00 on the one that works better and it runs quiet. look at this way, how long our you planning to be in the hobby, if you say a lifetime, divide how many more years you are going live into $200.00. if you look at it that way, $200.00 dollars is not that much, when your watching tv and look over at your prize possesion
aqurium, and you don't hear your protein skimmer
**** just bought turbo skimmer by red sea, from <a href="http://www.petwarehouse.com" target="_blank">www.petwarehouse.com</a> they had 10% off, reg. $199.00 paid $179.00 you will love it!!!!!! :)

cyn

Bruins,
How long have you had your remora?? I am looking to replace my lemon, I mean seaclone... Have been reading about the remora's and they sound like the way to go for HOB. How quiet is it? Any other thoughts?
cyn