please RESCUE ME, TORTURE FOR MONTHS

fox1135

Nitrates- 0-.05, Ammonia- 0, PH - 8-8.2, phosphate-0, Specific gravity-1.021 nitrites- 0
Ok so the specific gravity is a little low, just got done doing a 5 1/2+ gallon water change in my 30 gallon tank. (baby maroon clown died) I have a great filter 2 power heads a air stone protein skimmer and my temp is good. i have been running my tank for almost 2 years now. i also use lugols everyother day.
for some reason my 6 line wrasse died and 4 days later my maroon clown died. for the past two months cyano has just been engulfing everything. I believe i was overfeeding and the cyano covered everything. I have a torch that has weathered all this the best, some zoas that have been closed for months, my xenia has shriveled up and refuses to open, some stalks have actually turned light brown and shriveled to nothing.... and a kenya tree that is covered. i currently have 0 fish and 2 astasia snails and 3 nassasarus (or w/e) snails. my emerald recently died as well. oh and a toadstool that wont open..... I really have no idea what to do. I replaced my old filter with a new one, i have been blowing the cyano off the rocks and sand and everyday it comes back. I thought the 5+ change would do something. I usually do 2 small water changes a week and get my water from the lfs. also i use phosban.
i really dont want to use a chemical to get the cyano out. like red slime gone or whatever its called.... i try not to put anything in the water that cant be tested for.. Maybe I have bad tests or something but i heard cyano can have ridiculous nitrate levels and not even show up on tests.. Im at a total loss for what to do... This has been the only time i have ever considered stopping my tank. even though im not feeding anything in the tank, the cyano continues.. underneath the cyano seems to be really bushy light green algae that holds onto the cyano
the first time i had cyano i got a protein skimmer and it was gone within 2 weeks.. Now i just dont know what to do

fox1135

lugols is for xenia.. it has been shown that xenia actually has iodide inside of it. salidity is so low because of the water change. i ran out of salt durring the last one. and no im not using a refractometer.

gypsana

It is probably better not to have done the water change. It caused your salinity go down so low and so fast. That may be what is killing your tank. Personally I would not dose with anything for Xenia it is a weed and grows without adding anything as long as your tank is healthy. You are going to have to get your salinity back up but SLOWLY.

fox1135

the thing is that everything died before the change.. the xenia still looked like that before i did the big water change. everying was the same besides salidity. I did the change because of the problems, not the other way around and thank you for posting

fox1135

for cyano? didnt know that could cause cyano.. also this isnt like a "just happend" problem. this has been going on for at least a month and a half. i add one drop every other day. Some people dose every day and have thriving systems

nycbob

i hv never dosed my tank besides calcium, and my xenia is growing like mad. water change is more than enough for most reefers. i always tell fellow hobbyists to just keep things simple; water change, liverocks and plenty of flow inside the tank.

nycbob

i am not saying that. cyano is normally caused by lack of flow or too much nutrients in the water. r u using ro water?

gypsana

Originally Posted by fox1135
http:///forum/post/3103382
for cyano? didnt know that could cause cyano.. also this isnt like a "just happend" problem. this has been going on for at least a month and a half. i add one drop every other day. Some people dose every day and have thriving systems
No the death of your fish and inverts could have died from an overdose.

fox1135

this is a weird thing too that i didnt mention, the six line developed a white substance (pretty sure not ich) right below his top fin. he was in no way covered and the clown was very docile before he died. he would almost be laying on the ground. i have had both fish for at least 4 months and iche has never been introduced

A

abeandlulu

Do you have a UV sterilizer in the tank? I recently had a bad out break of canyo and realized my UV was Off. I cut it back on and canyo was gone in three days.

fishkid13

a tube with a utra voilet bulb insited that destorys most of the things that pass through it. It might help with your problem.

fox1135

that does sound like it would help but the only ones i could find were $140+ anybody else think they can help?