please RESCUE ME, TORTURE FOR MONTHS

maryg

I would stop dosing anything. Water changes replenishes any trace elements that your corals need. Especially something as easy as xenia. Mine grow crazy and all I do is water changes.
Also it may be your water source. I know some LFS around here have some questionable practices. I was buying saltwater from a LFS and was having a cyano problem. Must be too many phosphates. With the economy I am sure they are cutting corners somewhere.
Once I got my own RO/DI and did my own mixing I have not had a problem.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by fox1135
http:///forum/post/3105228
that does sound like it would help but the only ones i could find were $140+ anybody else think they can help?
I scored out sense I got 2x tetra pond u.v and 1x tetra tec and a pondworker or something like that plus a butt load of stuff (a couple grand worths of stuff) for $120.

fox1135

ive been trying chemi clean and the problem seems to be getting worse. i have slowly raised the sg and havent dosed since i started this thread. water changes are still proving useless. ill stir and try to get as much cyano loose as possible, it goes away for a day then BAM right back to where i started.
im also thinking of reducing my light time. it seems the cyano loses color about a hour before my lights go off. ive heard this might help a little.
honestly i have no idea how it continues to grow even though im adding nothing to the tank. Im feeding nothing and not using any lugols or any such items. my lfs may be cutting corners but honestly i cant afford any of these items that cost hundreds... and i would have no idea how else to get my water..
what the hell can i do....... my fishtank makes me super depressed when i look at it.... its literally covered in purple..even where there is high flow
ahhh why is it getting worse!!??

ugotktfo

I feel your pain. I had a bad cyano problem and I did 3 things.
1) I decreased light (some days I didn't have the light on at all)
2) I increased my water flow by adding koralias along with the 3 powerheads I already had
3) I started buying RO/DI water from Wal Mart. A bunch of grocery stores and Wal Marts have RO/DI water stations where you can buy containers and refill them for around .30 per gallon.
It took a while for it to go away, but it has worked for me. I know how you feel about wanting to just tear everything down because after all the time and money spent, you get "rewarded" with a bacteria problem.
My new battle is ich. I have it in the tank and it has killed about 6 fish. I have corals so I can't put any copper or anything in my tank. I'm just going to go fishless for 6-8 weeks and hope the ich dies off without any hosts.