please respond quik!, my eel might die!

30-xtra high

i have/had (i think he is going to die) a snowflake eel in my tank, and i fed him 2 days ago 1 silverside, and i didn't see him yesterday, but i've heard of people's snowflakes burrying themselves.. so i thought he just burried himself.. and i went to feed him today, took out all my liverock to find him.. and i didn't see him.. then i saw him behind my frog tank right next to his tank.. i got his feeding stick and lifted him up, and he wiggled just the slightest bit.. so i put him in my tank and he is lieing on the bottom of my tank upside down and not really moving, the liverock isn't in right now, and i turned off my powerhed so he doesn't blow around.. now i've heard of snowflake eels coming back from near death.. do you think he'll make it.. he was all sticky when i found him, and i had to pull carpet lint off of him.. is their anything i can do for him??

P

phishface

I dunno, sounds bad. Invest in a tighter lid. Sorry for your loss.

30-xtra high

thats the thing.. i don't see how he got out.. i have a reptile screen over the top with one little hole cut into it for my hob. filter,, and the hole has water pouring through it at all times cause my filter..

mitsutech

I am sorry for your loss however I would not buy another eel until you have a lager tank up and cycled.You will run less of a risk with one escaping if it has more room to explore look for more suitable fish for your tank like a dwarf lion.

cagrn

They can get out of almost any hole in you tank, and I don't think the water coming from the filter would sway them. I have read that when you put them back into the tank, you should increase oxygenation and cross your fingers. They have been reported to come back from several hours of being out of a tank and in various stages drying out.
If things go well and it comes back, get yourself some eggcrate from a hardware store and cut it to fit your tank, then it hopefully won't get out.
Good luck!

cagrn

Sorry, I missed the part about the reptile screen. I don't know if the eggcrate would be better.

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by MITSUTECH
I am sorry for your loss however I would not buy another eel until you have a lager tank up and cycled.You will run less of a risk with one escaping if it has more room to explore look for more suitable fish for your tank like a dwarf lion.
well he died this morning.. he was only a foot long, and when he was bigger was going to go in my friends 75 aggresive..

sharkboy13

oh man, im sry dude, i was kinda sad/ticked when my sfe got sucked into my protein skimmer and caused a ammonia spike (ironic eh?)

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
oh man, im sry dude, i was kinda sad/ticked when my sfe got sucked into my protein skimmer and caused a ammonia spike (ironic eh?)
lol, yea.. i'm so mad.. i was about to shut down my 30 cause it was suckin my money and i wasn't gunna be able to afford it.. but them my friend gave me his brittle star thats almost 2 feet arm to arm.. and i'd be fine with just him in my tank.. he's so fun to watch., i take him out and hand feed him silversides.

30-xtra high

lol, this thing is a beast, he was out and against my glass so i measured him.. 27 inches arm to arm.. he's gigantic, and i feed him daily.. he's so cool, i'm debating on putting fish in the tank or not..

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
lol, this thing is a beast, he was out and against my glass so i measured him.. 27 inches arm to arm.. he's gigantic, and i feed him daily.. he's so cool, i'm debating on putting fish in the tank or not..
haha, put like 5 helfrichi firefish in there and see how long they last

30-xtra high

yea.. great idea..
the only reason he's in my tank is because he was in my friends 140, but it ate his 4 inch sailfin, and his 4 inch yellow tang.. i don't even know if i put in a dwarf lion if it would survive..

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
yea.. great idea..
the only reason he's in my tank is because he was in my friends 140, but it ate his 4 inch sailfin, and his 4 inch yellow tang.. i don't even know if i put in a dwarf lion if it would survive..
OOH i know!! if he gets to be annoying stick him in a tank w/ a titan trigger and hold bets :thinking:

30-xtra high

dude.. it would have to be a big titan to kill this lil *****.. he ate 4 silversides today.. FOUR!!!!!!!!!, i don't know if you realize how many that is!, that would be like 4 of the 5 helfrichi i hypathedically put in.., my buddy's 8 inch voliotan can't manage 4..