Please Show Me Your 36 Inch Tanks

martinc909

I want to start a reef tank soon. & im going to work with a 36" tank. since i already have a 24,60,48" tanks. and I think 36" would work fine for me.
I'll start off getting the lighting and work my way from there.
Planning on getting a 36" 442W Metal Halide Light with:
1x250w HQI, 2x96w CF, & 4 moonlights.
Can you guyz post ure 36" tanks so that I could see the different dimensions out there,setup, and stock. I've checked all my local stores in my area and they all have the same dimension size tank.
So Please help me out.
thanx

jerthunter

I have a 65 gal tank which is 36" long and it has a center brace which makes having one MH bulb in the center a problem. You might be better off trying to get a light with 2 150watt MH instead of the 1 250watt since the center brace would end up blocking alot of light.

gatorwpb

Heres my 65gal. 36x24x18 with a 20gal fuge.
I have a 2x 150w hqi mh Sunpod and I added 21w t-5 actinic and about to add another 21w act. I would also agree about the center brace being an issue.
EDIT: Updated the pics

stumpyfish

I dont have a pic...but I have an All-glass brand 40 gal breeder tank, its 36"Lx18"Dx16"H. I picked for a few reasons, first was that I read that its better to have a shorter tank than a taller one if you intend on having corals because it makes it easier for the light to get to the bottom of the tank, it also has a bigger footprint so the weight of all the rock and crushed coral/sand and water gets displaced over a bigger surface area, and because it really gives alot of space to aquascape being that its 18" deep but only a 40 gal tank.

martinc909

does anyone have photos which show the entire tank stand and surrounding area so that I could get an idea how big the tank is. Thanks. probably the max i would go would be like 60 gallons.
I cant wait to get started.

martinc909

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
Heres my 65gal. 36x24x18 with a 20gal fuge.
I have a 2x 150w hqi mh Sunpod and I added 21w t-5 actinic and about to add another 21w act. I would also agree about the center brace being an issue.
EDIT: Updated the pics

I like this setup. i'll probably try to do something just like that. may I ask exactly what kind of lights do you have on. Thankx

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by martinc909
I like this setup. i'll probably try to do something just like that. may I ask exactly what kind of lights do you have on. Thankx
Sure Martin, I just saw this post.
I have the 36" Sunpod 2x150w mh with 14k bulbs. I added 21w t-5 actinic and will add another when I replace the bulbs in a month with new 10k bulbs.

martinc909

thanks everyone. i really like all the pictures. but im having trouble deciding if i should stay small or do a larger tank like Gators.
i know the larger the better but i also like the idea of the simplicity of a smaller tank. thanks everyone. know i have a good idea on what i should look for.

martinc909

the thing is. i already have alot of tanks that im not using. like a 35g which is 36". and a 55 which is 48". I just like the smaller in length thats why I'm going after a 36" tank. but i think a 60g(or around there) would be perfect.

martinc909

also i'd prefer a smaller tank because it wouldnt cost as much as a larger tank.
Watever tank size i'd get i would have
1. reef ready aquarium
2. I'll probably DIY my stand to my needs.
3. have sump/fuge built myself
4. metal halide lighting
would it be possible to put a tank on wheels?

crt81

Originally Posted by rs1831
I post a full picture tomorrow of my stand and everything. I have a 70 gallon tank.

What type of lighting do you have on your tank?
I just love the blue color you have!
My 65 gallon (36x18x24) is on order and will be ready this week.
Also how many fish do you have, what type of skimmer do you have, and please list the wattage and kelvin of the bulbs your using!
And if the blue color is from an actinic bulb could you list the brand/company that it is? I want a bright blue colored bulb for my T5 setup I'm ordering, but I'm just not sure which bulb has the best blue color and not purple or pinkish color to it!

rs1831

Originally Posted by crt81
What type of lighting do you have on your tank?
I just love the blue color you have!
My 65 gallon (36x18x24) is on order and will be ready this week.
Also how many fish do you have, what type of skimmer do you have, and please list the wattage and kelvin of the bulbs your using!
And if the blue color is from an actinic bulb could you list the brand/company that it is? I want a bright blue colored bulb for my T5 setup I'm ordering, but I'm just not sure which bulb has the best blue color and not purple or pinkish color to it!
I have an Aquactinics t-5 fixture with this light bulb selection:
(1) 39W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent ATI
(2)104980 39W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent ATI
(1) 104992 39W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent UV
(1) 105000 39W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent UV Lighting