Please tell me NOT Aptasia

salty gal

I have found this in my nano:
Attachment 212331
It looks like what I have been reading about Aptasia, however it is not attached to any rock, it seems to be in the sand bed. When I poked it, it receded into the sand. It's been in the same spot for a few days now.
I also have found a clearish/white one in my 75 reef attached to the lower portion of my White Pearl Bubble coral. Because of it's location, I can only see the foot and the tenticles. The rest is hidden behind rock. When I tried to take a picture, you could not see it.
Thank you so much.

jillbuus

Bury it under the sand or better yet put a rock on top of it so it can't feed. I had a bunch in my 55 gallon tank and have successfully eliminated them in this manor. Whenever I find a new one, i just bury the sucker in the sand, 2 weeks later its a guaranteed goner.

t316

Not the greatest pic, but yes it looks like aptasia. Scoop it up, sand and all, and throw it in the trash can. It's not worth having an outbreak.

spanko

Why the tears Salty Gal? You are getting off easy on this one. Like T316 said scoopit and the surrounding sand up and pitch it in the garbage. Then do a search and see how bad others have had it trying to get rid of them on their rockwork.
Don't cry.....

invertical

if you can get a syringe (with a needle is best) you can go to your local hardware store like lowes or whatever, and buy a drain cleaner that is %100 Sodium Hydroxide (it comes in a crystal form) they also use SH to make soap. Mix up a small amout of the SH and water...let it dissolve, load it in the syringe and take fire at the aipstasia...be very careful with it...it WILL kill anything it comes in contact with. Don't use too much at one time...it disapates rather quickly. I have done this numerous times on Majanos, Aipstasia, and even some algae in my sump.

salty gal

LOL Spanky ...
I got a plastic ladel today and did just that ... scooped it out and tossed it!
We have (hopefully HAD) another one in the big reef tank that hubby doused with calcium today. It is/was growing right on the Pearl Bubble Coral. Not been able to check it since then.
Thank you, though!!!!!!

unleashed

i can tell you its not aptasia but id be lying,, but if you want to get rid of it permanently buy a silver scat they eat them like candy along with anything else that you don.t want in the tank..consider then name scat.. sold as fw or brackish but do great in sw non aggressive but venomous good for reef or aggressive to fowlr..they also eat hair algae

salty gal

I was reading today that they also eat stomatella ... which I have thousands of. Since my FuManchu seems friendly, I'm going to get one. I only have a 26g nano, so 1 should suffice.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by Salty Gal
http:///forum/post/2824424
I was reading today that they also eat stomatella ... which I have thousands of. Since my FuManchu seems friendly, I'm going to get one. I only have a 26g nano, so 1 should suffice.
I don't think that you should get a pepp. shrimp because of the lion. No matter what, he will eat them!

salty gal

I agree with you after I have doing some investigation. They come 3/4 inch. FuFu has eaten Ghost Shrimp that big.
~sigh~
I'll have to think of something else.

calaxa

Can you get to the rock? If you can take the rock out you can kill it various ways (kalk, lemon juice, joe's juice, aipstasia-x, etc.) If you have to do it in tank, the same products will work but you will have to use syringe and feed it. Aipstasia-X (made by red sea) comes with a straight and curved syringe that is quite handy getting to hard to reach places. It's bit more expensive but I find it works better than Joe's Juice. Kalk works best if you already have a syringe around.

mushroomss

get a syringe with a needle tip,Fill it full of liquid calcium,and injest the little buggers.They should disintegrate if you get them good enough.Hope this somewhat helps

eric

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/2832518
peppermint shrimp! they gobbled mine up like a fat child eating chocolate cake!
This reminds me of the scene in the movie "Matilda"... Where the really ugly principal found out one of the kids ate a piece of her cake and then she made him eat an entire cake. Nice!