Plenum

angelgirl

I am getting ready for a big move and am probably going to loose everything and will have to start over so i amthinking of adding a plenum. My question is can anyone please tell me just exactly what a plenum is how to make one its purpose and any pros and cons?
any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Angelgirl :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sgtdraven

angel email me private and i will send you a link that will explain everything you need to know
sgtdraven@yahoo.com

@knight

also, burnspy has posted instructions for this several times in the past, if you use the search feature in the top right corner, you should get more info on them than you ever wanted to know.

burnnspy

Word to @knight.
I guess I am one of a few people who use this nitrate reduction technique, too bad though.
@knight is right though, do a search for Plenum and you will find plenty of info.
Visit my webpage and see what can be accomplished first hand if you would like.
BurnNSpy

bayouguy

I am a big fan of plenums after having run my tank now for almost 3 months with zero nitrates. What I do is set up an UGF, then dump some CC/aragonite on top of it, then lay down a screen, then put live sand on top. This has worked very well for me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of setting up a plenum also using my old UGF, however, I thought the space between glass floor and UGF was too small to create an adeqaute plenum?

burnnspy

That depends on the size of your tank. 3 months is to short to see if the system will be stable in the long run.
I recommend making sure you have 1-1.5 inches of actual water void height and a substrate with 2-4mm particle size, I believe CC is too large and it doesn't add to the buffering capacity of the reef system either.
BurnNSpy

K

krustytheclownfish

Beth,
You could try adding pvc piping under the ugf to give it some height. Just a thought.