Plenum??

justin_ny

Right now i have a 55 gallon reef tank, running with wet/dry filter (bioballs). i been reading a lot over the internet the use of plenum in reef tank and i would like to try it with my reef tank and removing the bioball, slowly. do u guys know what is the disadvantage using this filter, since i only can find the advantage this filter? i was thinking about adding 40 pounds aroganite sand(not live) and another 40 pounds live on the top of the dead sand? do u guys think is enaough for my 55 gallon tank.

h2o

Welcome to the board. The disadvantage of plenum is that you have to overhaul your tank, take everything out, clean the tank then put the plenum in. Another concern with it is you would have to worry detrivore, namely worms to break into the plenum layer disturbing it. So when putting plenum, you must use different grades of sand (size) and enough of it to prevent that.
Why not use 4" aragonite Deep Sand Bed, easier and same result. use the search engine on this site to find more info about it.

justin_ny

maybe it sound stupid to you. isnt that sand bed is the same thing as plenum? please tell me more about this sand bed?

h2o

The basis of the plenum is that there is trapped water that is underneath the sand bed. sort like a basement under a house. In order to do this you need eggcrate, some pvc pipe, few pieces of fiberglass mesh (screen door/window type and the smallest sized holes you can find). If you search around there are a lot of instruction about it.
DSB just lots of sand - equivalent result, less headache, really - i been through it. good luck