Plumbing leak!!! Help please!

zincoxide

PLUMBING LEAK!!!
Help... I fired up my tank today and everything works like a charm. I tested the siphon break 3 or 4 times and worked without fail!
There is one 90 degree elbow under the tank (the drain line) that has a slow leak. One drip every 6 or 7 seconds. Everything else seems to be bone dry.
How can I fix this, short of taking everything apart??
Should I just take some pvc glue and rub it around the joint or should I take some Marine goop and rub it arount the joint?
any ideas??

fishguy56

Originally Posted by zincoxide
PLUMBING LEAK!!!
Help... I fired up my tank today and everything works like a charm. I tested the siphon break 3 or 4 times and worked without fail!
There is one 90 degree elbow under the tank (the drain line) that has a slow leak. One drip every 6 or 7 seconds. Everything else seems to be bone dry.
How can I fix this, short of taking everything apart??
Should I just take some pvc glue and rub it around the joint or should I take some Marine goop and rub it arount the joint?
any ideas??
PVC Glue will not stop the leak but turn off the water flow use silicone and it will stop let it dry a bit before re starting the pump!!

scotts

I think that PVC glue might help stop your leak. I would turn everything off. Make sure that everything is dry, including the pipe is empty, then smear on a bunch of the glue of the outside of the joint. It worked on my pool plumbing and look at it this way, what can it hurt to try,
Scott

sflasurfer

they make a pvc glue that is for potable water that can be used while you have water flow or wet however it should be phrased

hagfish

I would use pvc glue over silicone. I used silicone on all of my pipes because I'm an idiot. They have held up pretty well. But it's too easy to break the seal when turning valves and stuff like that.

fishman122

they make a pvc glue called rain or shine, it's blue, i've used it plenty of times and it dries like a rock even on wet surfaces

fbm

steel stick is a product from loctite. It will work without a doubt and is safe for potable water systems.

waterworld

Do make sure that you know the true location of the leak. Water could actually be running down your plumbing from a leak at a higher location and it just appears to be at the joint you are suspecting.
Good Luck
WW

zincoxide

Well... The pipe is completely dry on each side of it.
I tried spreading GOOP all over it and it didn't seem to work. So... I went to home hardware tonight and I bought a roll of something called Magic Wrap. I'll let you know how it works. it is suppose to make a solid rubber seal around the pipe and is suppose to be good for up to 100psi (even on radiator hoses in a car).
We'll see!

pogi pants

just let it drip for a few days and the salt will build up around the leak. it'll stop itself. haha, that's what my lazy ass did when my return hose was leaking.

zincoxide

The Magic Wrap worked like a charm.
Incase anyone is interested, you can pick it up at the local hardware store (it was in the automotive dept. where I went). It is a roll of rubber with NO adhesive, it just stretches and sticks to itself.
I put one layer on and it still had a slower drip, I then put two more layers on and it was running all night.... Dry as a bone!