plumbing problems

aquaman

I was so frustrated tonight I ordered 4 new bulk heads to redo the plumbing. I had 4 bulkhead that came with the tank, but they had the pvc pipes cemented into them and they have been cut down to nothing but nubs, so I could not get them to stop leaking. I am hoping when I get the new one then I can finally finish filling the tank and start the cycle. I probably could have just fixed the ones that came with the tank, but I wanted to make sure, to the best of my ability, to avoid any problems.
So does anyone have any suggestions to give me for when I redo the plumbing?

happyfeet

I had the same problem, I had very small leaks coming from the bulkheads. I left a towel underneath them and after a day the salt had sealed them up and they haven't leaked since.

oceana

i would say do not cement them in. cement the bottom side but not the top.
or better yet make sure to get the double threaded one so you can screw then and and out as you see fit.

reefkprz

make sure you put the bulkhead gaskets inside the tank instead of on the outside.
make sure all your plumbing pitches slightly downward to prevent gunk build up inside the pipes. if your plumbing runs for a long distance or makes several turns use a wye and a cap to add cleanout access to the pipe. when glueing the pvc together push the pieces to gether and twist to smear the glue to prevent leaks. using PVC unions so you can remove your plumbing can be usefull for later both for cleaning the piping and swapping out tanks etc. the more accesable you make your plumbing the less headaches you'll have later on. (or the easier it will be to fix problems)
take your time and dry fit everything to make sure its going to line up.then glue one piece at a time dry fitting again as you go.

aquaman

Originally Posted by oceana
http:///forum/post/3237679
i would say do not cement them in. cement the bottom side but not the top.
or better yet make sure to get the double threaded one so you can screw then and and out as you see fit.
Yeah, I was not going to cement them in that is why I bought all new bulk heads to avoid that. If it were a relitivly light weight tank, sa a 55 gal, I may have, but this is a 220 gallon, to heavy to risk that. Better to wait for the new plumbinbg that to regret it for a long time thereafter.

aquaman

I found the bulkheards at a LFS, they were a bit cheaper than buying and shipping them online so I got them. Now the plumbing is done and I can start filling the tank tomorrow. WHOO HOO!