Plumbing question?

rdm

I have a Mag 7 return pump on my sump. I have always just "shoved" the 5/8'' tubing over the male 1/2'' fitting on the Mag7. While this method has never failed me, I can see how it could!
I went to Lowes and bought a female/female 1/2'' coupler along with a 1/2'' male, barbed fitting (for the 5/8'' flex hose). Here is my dilemma. The outlet on the Mag7 is 1/2'' the barbed fitting is 1/2'' on one side but reduces to a smaller hole as it transitions into the barbed end. Is this narrowing going to effect the flow of my Mag7? I would like to get the most out of my pump!
-Ryan

snakeblitz33

You should be able to get a small plastic barbed fitting that screws onto your pump and then you fit the hose on the hosebarb and zip tie it.
I have been like you over the years, however. I have always just fitted the hose over the pumps return nozzle and clamped it with a metal 1.29$ hose clamp.
As long as the clamp is not exposed to air, and is always underwater, it should never rust or cause any problems with your tank.
Zip ties work, but not as well as the hose clamps.

t316

Yes and no....If you had many reductions/angles/connections doing this thru out the system, then yes theoretically you could slow up output, or rather put more of a strain on your return pump. But no, this barbed connector reduction is not going to cause any change. This is what it's designed for, so that you can more easily slide the tubing on. Just make sure you are using a metal hose clamp on it so the hose doesn't work it's way back off, and to ensure that you have no leaks.

rdm

Thanks guys. There is only one real bend in my system, which is the output into the tank. So I guess I am ok with this minor reduction then.

t316

I wouldn't even count that as a problem

What size tank are you running this mag7 on? You don't won't too much flow, as in blowing stuff around...

rdm

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2567522
I wouldn't even count that as a problem

What size tank are you running this mag7 on? You don't won't too much flow, as in blowing stuff around...
20g sump 46 DT. it has a 3-4' rise, so only ~400gph. Nothing appears to be over done...