Plumbing suggestion for 180 (Squidd)

little_d

Will help my friend out with his 180, it only have 2 hole predrilled for drain, 1.5" but no return so I will plumb it in the back of the tank. Here is a first draft, let me know if any changes needed to better design this setup.
Thanks

golfish

guessing AMP 2700 means your using the Amp Master 2700? I wouldn't reduce down to 3/4, its only going to slow the flow down that much more, hec I wouldn't reduce below 1.5" unless the sumpfuge can't handle it ..It looks like there's two overflows with 1.5" drains if it were me and this is going to be a reef I'd rip out one the of the overflow boxes and use the drain for a closed loop..You don't need or want too much flow going though the sumpfuge.

little_d

Yeah, it's amp master 2700. OK, so I'll just plumb it all with 1.5". The reason for the reduction was to install those black flexi nozzles that only come in 3/4".
Any drawing/suggestion how I would pump the other overflow into a closed loop? If I go this route then I would have to ask him to buy another pump correct?
Thanks
Originally Posted by golfish
guessing AMP 2700 means your using the Amp Master 2700? I wouldn't reduce down to 3/4, its only going to slow the flow down that much more, hec I wouldn't reduce below 1.5" unless the sumpfuge can't handle it ..It looks like there's two overflows with 1.5" drains if it were me and this is going to be a reef I'd rip out one the of the overflow boxes and use the drain for a closed loop..You don't need or want too much flow going though the sumpfuge.

golfish

Originally Posted by little_d
Any drawing/suggestion how I would pump the other overflow into a closed loop? If I go this route then I would have to ask him to buy another pump correct?
Thanks

First thing you'll want to do it rip out the overflow box so you just have the hole on the bottom. You'll want to put a strainer on the intake so you'll need to make sure you can get to that strainer for cleaning. If you go that route you'll need another pump.

squidd

Another option to run the Loc Line diverters is to run 1 1/2" line all the way up..."T" into 1 1/2" line as a "manifold" and then drill in 4-6 3/4" loc line outlets...
Do that with a C/L pump (seperate from the sump/overflow/return)..

little_d

Squidd, thanks you so much for the pix, I will do it this way on my 240 setup. Question with the sump/fuge drawing. Is the first section used for skimmer, second is fuge and last is return?
Forgot one thing, so I have to use the scwd for the CL?
Thanks
Tony
Originally Posted by Squidd
Another option to run the Loc Line diverters is to run 1 1/2" line all the way up..."T" into 1 1/2" line as a "manifold" and then drill in 4-6 3/4" loc line outlets...
Do that with a C/L pump (seperate from the sump/overflow/return)..

squidd

Originally Posted by little_d
Squidd, thanks you so much for the pix, I will do it this way on my 240 setup. Question with the sump/fuge drawing. Is the first section used for skimmer, second is fuge and last is return?
Drawing is a "generic" S/F for clarity on external pump..suggest pump in center design with fuge on one side and overflow drin/skimmer on other..
Forgot one thing, so I have to use the scwd for the CL?
Thanks
Tony
Not needed with "maniflod" system and too small for Amp 2700 pump...

little_d

Thanks, I got it. Done deal for my buddy 180 pumbing :).
I'll pumbing my tank (240 gallons) soon, I did go ahead and bought 2 pump, one 3500gph to use for the s/f and another little giant that can pump ~1000gph at 5' head, should I use the scwd for this setup then?
Thanks again.
Originally Posted by Squidd
Drawing is a "generic" S/F for clarity on external pump..suggest pump in center design with fuge on one side and overflow drin/skimmer on other..
Not needed with "maniflod" system and too small for Amp 2700 pump...

golfish

you can have a million 3/4" loc lines....its does't matter, once you reduce the pipe down you reduce the flow....this is a given for any pump. 10x3/4" doesn't give you the same amount of flow as one 1.5 line will. Its not even close. If the amount of flows doesn't matter then knock yourself out.

squidd

Depends on what you want your flow to do ...Single point Max gallonage, or distributed flow...
Here's a c&p of some numbers I ran awhile back....
I have run a number of spray bars on a number of different tanks
I have run several different size piping at various lengths...
I have run multiple small holes...Drilled holes larger....
I have run 1 outlet, 2 outlet "T"s, 4-8 outlet "spreader bars"....
I have also "measured" the flow rates of the different setups...
There is a tradeoff in having the flow "distribution" of a spray bar
And that is in a measurable loss of flow potential...upwards of 30% depending on the restrictiveness of the setup...
Many small holes are the worse...1/4" or less -30%
Multiple "bigger holes" aren't much better... up to 1/2" -25%
3/4" or larger "multiple" outlets (4 to 8) are "starting" to get better -12-15%
Two outlet "T"s of "same size as main run aren't too bad -5-6%
And a single outlet of proper size pipe is the best and "Base" number for the comparisons...
I am confident your "results" will not vary much from these numbers...
So yes the loc lines will restrict flow 2700/12% or 324 so you'd still be pushing 2300 or so...divided over several outlets...
Or you could run it all of one tube/one side...

little_d

Thanks you all for your replies.
Goldfish, you have a valid point as most of us wanted more flow for our tank.
Squidd, thanks for the detail comparison. It was really helpful knowing that 12-15% was loss when using multiple 4/3" loc line.
One more question: I'll go with close loop route for my 240 using a little giant pump that can pump ~1000gph at 5' head. Do I need the scwd/"manifold"?
Thanks

squidd

SCWD is a 30% loss as well but gives alternating current...
Even Ocean Motions loose 10-12% ...
Again depends on what you want "from" your flow...if you want more flow...get a bigger pump...