Plumming Help

yannifish

I am setting up a sump, and need help with the plumming. The outlet on the pump I'am getting is 3/4" diameter, and the max output is 370 gph. I will use 3/4" diameter pvc going back to the tank, but was wondering if I should use a smaller diameter pvc going to my sump, so that the pump will be able to pump the water fast enough to have the same amount of water coming in the sump as is going out of it.
Any help will be great! Thanks!

dadszx7

I've got a 55RR and am pretty good with plumbing. I can help you out.
Info needed:
what size sump and design, what size bulkhead on your overflow which feeds the sump, how many returns do you want?
Just an FYi, you will need at LEAST 10times turnover rate in a 55 gallon. Which means you need 550 gallons per hour. And you'll also have to calculate head loss. This is caused by pushing the water "UP" to the the returns.
In my opinion your return pump should be around 3 times bigger. Then you place a shut off valve between your new larger pump and your returns. This will allow you to get maximum flow at the returns and you can dial it in. To keep up with the overflow. "Throttle it back".
Let the questions fly?

yannifish

1) should I get a 600 or 740 gph pump?
2) I am using a diy pvc overflow, so the overflow is the same as the diameter pcv
3) When you say "shut off valve" do you just mean a ball valve in the pvc? Should I have that plus a check valve so that water won't come back into the sump say the power went out?

dadszx7

Here you go.
1) I would go with something close to 900 gph and then place a shut off/ball valve between your pump and returns. I'm using a 975 gph and get about 675 at the return heads. I think you lose about 75 gph for every foot your trying to raise or push the water up. Usually on the side of the box of your pump. It's got a table, that you can calculate your return head gph. I use "rio" pumps. They're inexpensive, quiet, dependable and only require a little bit of maintance. I get them on the large

[hr]
site.
2) I think your 3/4 diy overflow might be a little small. But I know that 1 1/4 inch bulkhead can handle handle over 1000 gph. That's why you use the shut off/ball valve to tweek the flow from your returns to match your overflow.
3) I use inline check valves on all my tanks. I did have one tank overflow and wasn't pretty. Make sure you use the the clear flapper kind not the kind you buy at hardware stores, spring kind. I get mine from the large

[hr]
site. They are available in various sizes and either slip or threaded.

yannifish

1) You don't think the 740 gph will be enough? You say you use rio pumps, I was looking at ViaAquaria, and the 740 gph model is $39.99, and the next size up is 1057 gph and is $55.99.
2) If I got the 740 gph pump, I think I would want to keep the overflow at 3/4", just to be safe. If you think I should go bigger, I could put a ball valve in the overflow pipe so I could slow down the overflow, couldn't I?
3) I will get get a flapper style check valve, specifically made for fish tanks. The one I am looking at is slip, will it make a difference? And its made of pvc, so its not clear.

dadszx7

1) like I said before. Spend a little bit extra money and get the bigger pump. That way if the smaller pump isn't big enough. Then you'll have to buy the pump. Waste of money. Then put in check valve to tweek the flow. To keep up with the over flow.
2) your overflow will work. You don't need a check valve on that, because you want maximum flow.
3) The slip check valve is fine. I just prefer clear, that way you visually inspect. They are known to collect debris and clog and then fail when the power fails. They cost about 20.00 on the huge

[hr]
site.

yannifish

1) ok, I'll get the bigger pump
2) Ok, no valve on the overflow
3) $20.00? I found one for $12.00. I'll just clean it out every now and then.
4) Would my heater be ok in the fuge?

dadszx7

What size heater in your fuge? The rule of thumb is to use 2 smaller heater, that 1 large heater. I run 2 100 watts and very stabile at 78.3 daytime and 79.7 with the t-5s on.