Pod breeding

reefrobert

Pod are food for a lot of fish and need a refugium with no one eating them all the time! they like live rock, live sand, rock rubble, and macro algae to breed in. Any one else on this!

I have tons of them and 60 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand in a 29 gallon up for three years I was just curious because I had some weird stuff on my glass like slimy, stringy light brown dust.

snapperboy

bought an algae cleaning kit that included a 12"X12" sheet of a brillo type scrubbing pad. My dad (who has kept sw tanks since the 60's) suggested cutting a large chunk off and put it in the sump area with the LS, macroalgaes, and live rubble. once a week i take it out and shake hundreds of the crawley critters into the DT.

poniegirl

...they also breed quite well in a canister filter sleeve! I hate to clean the canister for that very reason.
Also for that very reason, today when I clean the can. I will not be replacing the sleeve, but will be adding seagrass, another great breeding ground that I won't eventually have to throw away.
As to the stringy dusty stuff..I don't think it has anything to do with your pod population. But I would guess there is a healthy crowd of many different hitchhikers that could be creating it. There is an awesome thread, just search "hitchhikers" I think in this forum, and it may come up with something.
I get some spiderweb-looking stuff on my LR that I have seen others talk about. Unfortunately, I'm not worried enough about it to pay close attention. Have a look at that thread, though.