Pod explosion in new tank

itom37

I have been anxiously awaiting some pods showing up since I set up my tank (around 3 months ago). Finally I see some a few days ago (munching on a dead polyp, sadly), and I realize they are everywhere. My tank is crawling with the suckers. I don't specifically know what kind they are (iso, cope, whatever), but there are tons. So my question is, of course, can I support a mandarin? Based on what I see I can't imagine needing more... but everything I hear is based on a tank established at least a year. I do not have a refugium, but I've got a solid 70 lbs of LR, plenty of which is inaccessible by a fish the size of a mandarin. Since my tank is fish free right now due to an ich outbreak (they're in QT, not dead), it will be at least 1-2 months before I'd be adding the little guy.
It's really nuts how many there are. I'm shocked. I guess some eggs just hatched. I'd say at any given time (provided I let a little algae film grown on the glass) there are maybe 2-3 per square inch on the glass alone.

T

tizzo

No you cannot support a mandarin and I will tell you why. Pod populations rise and fall considerably before they "even out" chances are in 3 more months, you will shine your flashlight into your tank and be hard pressed to find any. It takes about a year for their numbers to stabilize, and with only 70 lbs of lr, I wouldn't chance it.
it's copepod.
co pee pod
or my own version co pa pod
and the little shrimp looking ones are amphipods

itom37

You can't just tell me what I want to hear, can ya?

Just kidding. I appreciate the advice. The last thing I want is that goregous fish slowly starving to death.

big

My 72 bow has a 50 gallon fuge- sump (added more size already) and over 140 lbs of LR total and I do not think my tank would support one.
I am building a much larger fuge just because I want one too. The populations swing dramatically for me. (although I blame my Diamond for some of the pod losses) I thing feeding levels may have something to do with the pod population at times too. Good luck but I would agree that three months is asking to see one starve in time.
Here is a similar thread I ask a while back.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/279402/how-big-should-i-buid-it

itom37

GEEEEEEZ!!! That's crazy. My wallet will not be that big for a LONG TIME. In that case it may be awhile yet. Occasionally my LFS will get one that eats frozen food, so perhaps I can get my hands on one of them and supplement it with my apparently pathetic pod population. I think amazing what people are willing to spend in order to support that one fish... so beautiful.

big

In addition, I see that you too have a Diamond goby. He is in also a big pod "user-upper" too. Having the two pod eaters in one tank would make it very hard to support both...... Warren

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by itom37
You can't just tell me what I want to hear, can ya?

Just kidding. I appreciate the advice. The last thing I want is that goregous fish slowly starving to death.

haha. I COULD... but then I may as well work at a LFS.
That was a joke...sorta

emm0909

Originally Posted by Tizzo
haha. I COULD... but then I may as well work at a LFS.
BAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

itom37

so here's another question: how is it that i have seen mandarins in biocubes with maybe 15-20 pounds of LR that seem to be thriving? Are these fish destined to starve?

big

so here's another question: how is it that i have seen mandarins in biocubes with maybe 15-20 pounds of LR that seem to be thriving? Are these fish destined to starve?

Yep............

alix2.0

yep, unless for some reason the tank has a giant sump with 75 pounds of live rock in it.