Pod question

uneverno

Hi guys - great forum.
Got a question:
I bought some Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods with the intention of culturing them. They're in a 5gal bucket with an airstone and a heater. Feeding them Phyto. My ambient temp in the house is 68-70. Do they really need to be heated?
I keep them at about 75, figuring that would speed up the breeding process. They've been in there about a week, and from what I understand it takes a couple weeks for them to pop.
Oh - and newbie mistake - they're in an orange bucket. Makes them REALLY hard to see
Getting a white one soon...

cranberry

I would not heat them.
The higher the temperatures, the more male offspring that are produced until you mainly have males... not good for a sustainable culture because it will eventually crash with no females to keep it going.
Do not feed the Nannochloropsis species of phyto. They are unable to digest it adequately.

uneverno

Perfect - heater has been removed. I feed RN's PhytoFeast, which has Nanno in it, but 4-5 other species as well. So far so good, just haven't seen much growth yet.

this is good to know i just baught 4 bottles of tigger pods and was planing on culturing them so this info is very good, now i have mine in a 15 gal with sand and some small rubble rock and one pump,will they multiply with this set up? i was planing on taking a rock out once a week and placking it in my main tank because i also have the very tiny white pods as well and i didnt really want to take my tank apart and kill them all as i plan to buy a mandrin after a while

uneverno

Holy cow! I thought $25 for one bottle was too much. That's why I figured I'd culture.

Once they pop, I'm just gonna net them and feed the tank that way. Don't have a fuge yet, so I'm sure they'll mostly get eaten.

fcatch76

tigger pods are a cold temp form of pods, it will be difficult to culture them. I know this because I tried in my fuge. You are better off buying SWF.com's pods for $10.

uneverno

Ah, good info as well. I'll go that route.
My tank is also starting to grow them, but I think the angel will take care of them before the population blooms, and I don't have a fuge yet.
Thanks,
Emil