Pods for culturing??

9supratt4

I know I came across pods that are made to thrive in our tanks unlike the Tigger Pods by Reef Nutrition, but I can't remember which was best. Someone spark my mind??

J

jstdv8

I've had amazing luck with DT's.
put a jar of 250 of them in 3.5 months ago and now I have so many they are like a nusaince on the glass. I need a mandy :)

R

rotifer

Tigger-Pods can easily be cultured and thrive in a standard reef system.
Usually the reason that copepods don't take off in reefs is that they are either eaten too quickly, or starve. Copepods are often food limited by the amount of natural microalgae that the reef produces each day. If you supplement with microalgae you increase the amount of available food, and hence the population that can be supported. When additional pods are added the amount of food required immediately goes up, especially when feeding very large copepods like Tigger-Pods. Unfortunately many people don't add additional microalgae so both the Tigger-Pods and the natural population have a food shortage and quickly starve.
Here is a link with more information about them:
https://reefnutritionfaq.porks.com/Tigger-Pods+FAQ
Randy Reed, Reed Mariculture, Reef Nutrition

cranberry

I am involved with 3 species of copepods, Tigriopus califoricus, Tisbe and Pseudocyclops. We recommend the Tigriopus for target feeding and the other 2 for seeding fuges.
We found in the summer, the Tigriopus culture would dwindle so that we almost had to stop production. When a chiller was placed on the system, there was a stable production all year round. Predation and nutrition were not issue in our situation. There are peeps like Ron Shimek who agree. Temperature went up - production went down. The temperatures dropped - production went up. Put on a chiller - year round equal production.

R

rotifer

We are running about 30 tanks of Tigger-Pods (10'x8'). Our heaters kick on at around 70 F and there are no chillers so the tanks can creep upwards of 90 F on a hot day. We get our best production between 75-80 F. If they fall below 70 F production falls off dramatically.
TC's range from the very cold waters of the Canadian border to the warm waters of Mexico so its a good assumption that ones from different locations have locally adapted to grow best a those temperatures. Our broodstock came from the tide pools of central california where it gets pretty hot in the summer so they like heat. Broodstock that comes from further north might have different preferences and do better in colder water.

cranberry

That's great that you are getting that kind of success with warmer temperatures. We could not, however, replicate that success in our culture rooms. Our starting culture were pods from Reef Nutrition.
Where I am associated with the sales of all three pods, I have no reason to NOT recommend Tigriopus. It would be bad business to tell people not to use something we culture. We have just seen them better utilized as a target feed with the other 2 as fuge cultures. This has led to the best success by our customers.