Pods?

N

nick17

I am new.. but may not be right on this one..
But, I think they are some kind of creature..
-Nick

stacyt

Little white creatures that run around the tank. Look similar to small shrimp to me. Most stay under a 1/4" in size, many are much smaller than that. Do a search, I know there have been some pics posted in the reef forum.

nas19320

There are several types of "pods". There are Amphipods, copepods, and Isopods. I beleive BangGuy has posted some good pics of them.

tangman99

I have some gammerous. There are also other types. One is a very one that looks like dots moving around your glass. They are really small.

tangman99

Originally posted by lesa
Tangman do you have a picture of those gammarus??

No, but they look just like the ones Kip and tlk posted. Never interested me enough to take a picture.

sammystingray

Hobbiests generally use the term "pods" to describe the very small crustaceans in our tanks that are named with the pod ending.....copepods, amphipods, and isopods are generally meant when a hobbiests says "pods". "pods" means "foot" in greek I believe.....copepod translates to oar+foot because they have flat legs for swimming, I believe amphipod means double feet or something....don't get that, but whatever......It's sort of misleading when you have common things like gastropods....belly+foot, and they aren't included....basically hobbiests generally mean the three when "pods" are mentioned. Most are good, a few are bad......just little crustaceans.

How do pods get in your tank? What purpose do they serve? I've heard a lot about hobbyists raising pods in their refugiums. Are they some type of food source for fish and/or invertebrates?

I don't see any pods in my tank right now. When should I expect them to appear? Right now, my ammonia is 0 and my NO2 is 0.2. Do they require food? If so, what?