Poll,,CLeaner crew..W/Wo hermits...What's best

biggdriver

I have heard many different views on hermits..Only stating not to or to get them..but no real reasons why or why not..Would like some if they are beneficial,,THey sell them here with the cleaning crew packages..Which is best for a 65 and a 90 gallon..OPionions please

Well Ive had good and bad experiences with them. The first time I tried them they began eating the base of my colt coral and I had to get rid of them. But now that Ive tried them again they have done no harm. I think they are a good addition to a cleanup crew especially if you have any sort of problem with hair algae. Just watch out for the evil hermit that may come in the bunch. :D

kris walker

Bigdriver, I think it depends on whether its FO or a coral-only (CO?). For fish only, I would get hermits, as they are great scavengers as Chevron Tang points out. For corals, I now stay away because I can't be there 24/7 to monitor the behavior of the hermits. I just gave a run-down of what I think would be a good cleanup crew for a FOWLR 55 gal on the post titled "cleanupcrew for fowlr?".
sam

biggdriver

I have only reef tanks with coral and a few fish...I would like to order a cleaning crew for the new tank I am setting up (65 gallon) after it finishes it;s cylcling..It too will have a mixture of corals

jakob4001

well, like it was stated, cannot be there 24/7; coursethat true w/ all other inhabitants of the the tank, including LR; someteims never know what goes on at night; crabs are nothing if not OMNIVORES; they will most often go for an easy meal of any kind;not to mention very easy to end up w/ a BAD CRAB thought to be REEF SAFE...
my momma always said, "crabs are like a box of chocolates, you never what you will get..."