*POLL* Everyone anwser!!

nm reef

55 reef...10 gal last Saturday of the month...top off daily
55 fowlr...none yet....very light bio.....will probably do 5-10 gal once a month

coop21

Ahh..I'm cycling a new tank. Which means by back can rest for a month or so. Damn...there's that brown crap I forgot about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pufferlover

I do all my tanks on a weekly basis (every Tuesday). My Pork and Dogface tanks sometimes twice a week (they are piggies). I do have a couple of 20's and a 15 that I sometimes skip a week on but they only have 2 fish each so they stay clean. It works out to about 50 gallons a week between the 10 tanks (or another way a bucket of salt a month, I have more empty buckets then I know what to do with).

Unfortunately, this poll tells us nothing.
We would have to compare notes on a tank to tank basis. In other words, do you have a reef only? What size? FOWLR? What substrate? What filtration? Skim or not? Fish load? Coral load? And on and on, I think you get my drift. It is just impossible. I say this only so newbies will not say, geez hobbyist A is changing 15% a month and hobbyist B is changing 15% a week and hobbyist C is not changing any at ALL!!!
Just as a point, each marine aquarium developes its own unique personality. As John Tullock once said, "As with some people, some of these personalities I like a lot; others I would just as soon not get to know."
Once again, just my humble .02 :D
Hermit

T

thespook

An idea for those that do lots of water changes. Instead of throwing out that old water recycle it!
Take a rubber made tub and put in about say 10lbs of bricks or RL and some power heads and a heater and a skimmer. Put in your old water in it. The water can sit for a month and "filter" out. Its a whole lot cheeped than buying salt and RO water every month!
If you need to cycle it put in a piece of scrimp or something.
This is what the guy at my LFS does with his extra water.
Dont under stand the idea of water changes if your tests are good.

robbytt

25% water every two weeks with RO/DI water. Also I top off (usually weekly) with fresh water in between.

fau8

In a 45 gallon tank I was changing 12- 15 gallons a week, I made a coil denitrator and ever since all readings have been perfect. I change 15% now every 6 weeks just for piece of mind.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the idea with changing water even though the tests are good, is to keep the test good![/] :)