Poll: How many Use A Sump System??

carorella88

Okay guys.. Same question! How many saltwater type peoples use a sump... Why, andusing/not using one worked for you!!

j. hoss

No, I don't have a sump, but I'd like to get one. I'm thinking about upgrading when I move (the plan is in 6 months). I currently have a 55-gallon, I'd like bigger.

smalltimer

With a sump you can add your chemicals, do h2o tests, float corals and fish bags, ahhh, have heater, skimmer, put in carbon, put in diffrent filter media, ahhhhh EVERYTHING, and your corals and fish never new you where there...........I will NEVER have ANY tank w/o sump

fishman0729

i have a 55, and i have a sump. The sump is i think in my opinion the best idea and equipement to have saltwater. You can have your heater, skimmer, add media, add live rock and endless things without cluttering up the tank and without stresses out any fish....I think that running a tank without a sump is the first mistake that a person can do. But thats only my 2 cents worth

reef-addict

I would highly suggest a sump in whatever tank you start.
Pros
-The first and most obvious reason is that it adds more gallons to your tank, and as almost all aquarists belive, the bigger your tank the better your tank will do.
-The second main reason, and agreeing with fishman0729 on this one, it gives you some space to work with. I take my test water from my sump and add whatever chemicals to the sump also.
-Thirdly, the sump gives you an area to hide whatever you don't want to be seen , i.e. heaters, pumps, etc.
Cons
-The number one con is the problem if you have a power outage, if you do you better hope that your level of water won'r exceed your sump.
-The other con is that a sump cost money, I would recomend going to your local store and comparing sumps there and then create your own with an old 10 or 20 gal tank you have. It may cost you about $25 dollars to get the overflow, but I say its worth it.
Good luck all, message me if you have any other questions...

broomer5

Another fan of having a sump here !
As everyone mentioned above - having a sump just flat out gives you a lot more possibilities, and allows you a wet place to work without disturbing the display tank as much.
Having an overflow pulls water from the top of the display tank, where dissolved organics seem to accumulate, and get's this stuff to your in-sump skimmer.
I believe it helps with gas exchange as well, although I have no test results to prove it.
I agree with those above - I would never run a saltwater tank without having the sump, having much of the equipment underneath the tank. It just makes the display tank look so much better in my opinion, and gives me easier access to the water and equipment.

worm

I use a sump for my 55gal. the only reason i use one is to hide my skimmer and to have something to add my additives to. i don't like the idea of dumping calcium, iodine, buffs, etc. directly to the tank itself.

jlem

My "Right Way" is lots of live rock, Shallow sand bed,and prizm skimmer. I had a sump but was topping off way to much, and with well water a ro/di unit would have been clogged ridiculously fast.. If I go bigger then I will probably go sump just to hide stuff. I do agree that a sump is a great way to go. There are lots of right ways and not all include a sump. The best way is probably with a huge sump, great expensive skimmer, a 6inch DSB,Tons of live rock, good canister filter to run chemical if you choose, a really neat closed loop system, and a nice size refugium. Hopefully you live by a bank with minimul security. This of course is just my opinion