poll on would you or wouldn't you

mimzy

I wouldn't. Even if it was a mad long 125. I don't feel like that's adequate surafce area.
CERTAINLY not for 2.

moraymike

LOL... Didn't we just have this discussion with someone :notsure: I've been keeping sharks and eels for 15+ years and I woud not do it. Can it be done for a couple years? Yes.

moraymike

So, do you still have the bamboo shark that you asked about here?
guineawhop
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2005
banded cat shark

[hr]
anybody have any experience with a banded cat shark. if so what can i put with him...and what can i expect as far as hardyness and personality. i've read about them and alls they keep saying is the hardest part is getting them to eat
125 gallon - 72x18x22
180 gallon - 72x24x24 (the biggest tank you have, right?)
And you are advising folks on keeping sharks?

guineawhop

Originally Posted by MorayMike
So, do you still have the bamboo shark that you asked about here?
guineawhop
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2005
banded cat shark

[hr]
anybody have any experience with a banded cat shark. if so what can i put with him...and what can i expect as far as hardyness and personality. i've read about them and alls they keep saying is the hardest part is getting them to eat
125 gallon - 72x18x22
180 gallon - 72x24x24 (the biggest tank you have, right?)
And you are advising folks on keeping sharks?

haha no i don't have him anymore i had him in my 180. was planning on trading my 125 plus some cash for a 260 my friend had but he got a mantis shrimp with a piece of lr and it made a couple hairline cracks in the tank so i decided not to keep theshark because i wanted more than just the shark in the tank. sold it to one of my buddies that has a 500 gal for like 20 bucks.(it was still in the egg and was gonna hatch any day at the timewhen i sold it). this was also 7 months ago and i did a lot of research on this subject including talking to aquariums like the one in niagara falls.

ophiura

IMO, hatchlings would be fine for quite some time. I've raised around 20 from hatching sizes (around 5") to 18" (within a year). It is actually easier to get food to these tiny guys in small tanks. So given a particular situation - say that they are hatchlings less than 2 years old (perhaps more realistically 14" or so), then I don't see a major issue. But not for long term care of them.
I think every tank and situation should be assessed on its own with specifics and discussion of the why's or why nots :yes: Ask particular questions such as "what are your plans in 2 years?" Heck, people may already have a larger tank for them and it is important to know this instead of just coming down with a "no way" straight answer, IMO.
So adult bamboos - no way, newly hatched juveniles? Might actually be a bit too spacious, IMO, to ensure adequate feeding.

ophiura

As an aside, I am not sure there is any "proving a point" necessary. The discussion was in another thread, I thought it turned unecessarily juvenile in the middle of it. It serves no purpose to ask the question here.
Feel free to say "no, I don't think it is good, ever" but allow people to have counter opinions - which often do come from experience. Every situation is different, and we do more to help a hobbyists by learning about their system and educating them about different points of view in a mature way. Give them all the options and access to opinions, and if you can make your case in a mature way with reasoning and educated opinions, you can often win the argument. And in these cases I am afraid there can be educated opinions on both ends of the spectrum which hobbyists are entitled to. :yes:

ophiura

Originally Posted by sasbdas
Sharks of ANY kind should be in the ocean with the dolphins and whales.
Fair enough :yes: :)