Poll: Pirhana or Seahorse

crabsrkewl

Okay so which fish should I get? I'm planning on setting up another tank and was wondering which fish I should get for it. Please post as much information as possible on both sides of the poll.

mcbdz

But first I would try keeping a regular community SW tank and then decide if you want more work.

crabsrkewl

Whoa that was incredibly fast I just finished editing this post. HAts off to you on your posting speediness or something. Anyway I was just wondering which one of these creatures I should get I find both to be very fascinating. Anyway clyde I can buy pirhanas if I chose to get them at Absolutely Fish in New Jersey. They have like everything.

sepulatian

Are you looking at FW Pirhana? They are quite easy to care for but are messy. Do plenty of research on both before you decide.

ophiura

Wow, talk about apples and oranges.
One is super easy (piranha) but need quite large tanks and pose a possible safety risk (BTW, they get real boring, real fast...from someone who has kept full size piranha).
The others need FAAARRRR more care, but are perhaps more fascinating IMO.

mie

I agree piranha's are messy and get big in a hurry, The seahorse i think would bore me and are hard to keep, It is a personal choice, I would do piranha's.

zeke92

if oyu havent done saltwater much then research and work on it. seahorses aren't something you would jump into like a piranah.

jonthefishguy

Chances are its NOT a pirahana but a red bellied pacu. Relative to the pirahana but a vegetable eater and not carnivourus. Yes most states do not allow pirahana to be sold or purchased because of the possibilty that they would be relased into their waterways if they have fresh or brackish water lakes and rivers and create havok on the ecosystem. I would also tell you that true pirahana are not as aggressive as an adult as they are young. They tend to only attck when needed and not for the sheer fun of it. I myself can order true pirahana's but have to file with US customs when they enter the state. Not worth the red tape and not mention even if I do file with the state, most suppliers will not ship illegal livestock to states that ban them. By the way, if it is a red bellied pacu (serrasalmus hattereri) it gets over 11 inches and is sometimes banned as well.

lesleybird

Originally Posted by crabsrkewl
Okay so which fish should I get? I'm planning on setting up another tank and was wondering which fish I should get for it. Please post as much information as possible on both sides of the poll.
What size of a tank are you planning? How long have you done saltwater fish? Do your homework before you just jump into doing a seahorse tank so that you know the amount of care and work involved as none of us like to see someone just jump in without researching the needs of an animal before they just purchase them and let them die. If you don't know what you want how would we?

wangotango

Of all the freshwater fish out there, I'd have to say that piranha are the most boring and least attractive. Why not just do a planted community tank? There are a lot of beautiful tetras and gouramis out there.
-Justin

crabsrkewl

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Are you looking at FW Pirhana? They are quite easy to care for but are messy. Do plenty of research on both before you decide.
Yes I plan on getting a freshwater pirhana I didn't know they had saltwater. I want to get a 55 gallon for the pirhana and a 10 gallon for a pair of two dwarf seahprses.

mie

I saw a tank yesterday in portland with rainbows, A very colorful neat fish that are from australia. the tank was setup likme a rocky smooth stone river bottom with two powerfull wave makers on the bottom under some rocks at the end of the tank there was about twenty fish in this 55 and they were ALL swimming against the current. It was a very cool display. If i ever do another large freshwater i am doing that one. they were about 10 to 15 dollars a piece, and about two inches.

ophiura

Honestly, piranha are a real let down...people think they are super cool, and they are not. What do you hope to do with them? PLEASE tell me you are not going to have friends over to watch them eat feeder goldfish
You will likely be bored by it. And Pacu's...even more bland (not to mention REAL tough to get rid of once they grow). I would truly reconsider the piranha purchase.

coral keeper

I wouldn't do the pirana or a seahorse tank. I have a 25 gallon freshwater heavily planted tank and i LOVE it!! If i were you id make a heavily planted tank with all kinds of fish like angels, corys, plecos, rams, rainbow fish, ect. How long have you been in the SW hobby?

mie

I had to give my pacu to the zoo. They were the only ones willing to take the damn thing.