polyp extention on green slimer

fishieness

about 2-3 weeks ago i got my first SPS, a green slimer. It is placed pretty high up on my 40 breeder with a 150 (i guess? even though the site said it was a 175, but everyone here said it must be a 150 since they dont make 175 DE bulbs) metal halide and 2 65 watt actinics. I have a 300 gph powerhead with a hydor wavemaker on it to provide alternating current right near it as well as a 300 gph filter and a 300 gph skimmer. (the skimmer collection cup actualy broke so that hasnt been running for a few days but i jsut fixed it and this has been happing longer than a few days).
But since the acro is branching, the regions shaded by the arms and such does not have any polyp extention. But the parts in the light is very far our and vibrantly colored..... is this normal? should they all be out? Should i try to position it so it gets a lot more light all over it?

golfish

Originally Posted by fishieness
with a 150 (i guess? even though the site said it was a 175, but everyone here said it must be a 150 since they dont make 175 DE bulbs)
Have you done any homework on this? Have you found any other site that has 175 watt DE bulbs?

But since the acro is branching, the regions shaded by the arms and such does not have any polyp extention. But the parts in the light is very far our and vibrantly colored..... is this normal? should they all be out? Should i try to position it so it gets a lot more light all over it?

Its normal...

fishieness

ok, thank you goldfish. in my other post where you were helping me out i asked but i guess you didnt see it. i do tend to ramble.
but i was just wondering if there was another way i should position it or something.
thanks once again for your help!

by the way...... on the bulbs.... i thought that you and reefnut said that they didnt make them? They are odyssea bulbs and do sell the 175 watters...... but someone said.... i dont remember who, that on another forum they found that it was a mistake that odyssea made and that they are realy 150s? So im not exactly sure what they are, so i guess ill just keep buying the odyssea bulbs.

golfish

by the way...... on the bulbs.... i thought that you and reefnut said that they didnt make them? They are odyssea bulbs and do sell the 175 watters...... but someone said.... i dont remember who, that on another forum they found that it was a mistake that odyssea made and that they are realy 150s? So im not exactly sure what they are, so i guess ill just keep buying the odyssea bulbs.

Naw, their 150 watters...The reason I keep reminding you is that I don't want you to get stuck thinking you have to use odyssea bulbs..if they can't get the numbers right I doubt they'll be around long.
but i was just wondering if there was another way i should position it or something.

When I get frags like the Green Slimer I like to just lay em down on a rock rather then have em stick straight up. This way the coral grows out wider rather then taller. Like I mentioned in one of your other threads, the Green Slimer was one of my first frags. I lucked out and hooked up with Steve Elias ealy in my sps days (I'm sure most sps guys have heard of the Elias stag) I just layed that coral down on a rock up high in the tank and it grew like a weed. There were time when that corals was the size of a basketball.....Man! I sure miss that tank and the good old days.

ok, thank you goldfish.
Your lucky Goldfish doesn't visit this board anymore, He'd be pretty ticked off you calling me Goldfish..

fishieness

hahaha woops sorry GOLFISH!!!
when you say lay it down, just wedge the plug in between two rocks so it it more horizontal? i still cant have anythign touching the coral like rocks though right? im assuming that that wouldnt be good. haha
thanks again

acrylic51

Golfish is right the coral will do better on it's side....Anthony Calfo talks about that in detail on another site about that very thing Golfish told you

fishieness

hmmmm..... i havent been able to find the article yet......

hey golfish or anyone else...... this morning before my halides came on i placed the slimer on its side like was suggested. I put the part that had the most amount of shade before up. the polyps on this section still arent out and the coral is just a brown color......it is even lookign a little pale. With this part color up again? Does it jsut need to get re-acclimated to the light?
thanks again for everyone's time

golfish

Forget about the none polyp side, its not an issue. Put the good side up and leave the freeking thing alone and let it do what it does.... lay it down on a nice flat rock so it wont get kicked or moved by current or critters....Yes, let it touch the rock, picture your self talking a pencil and laying it on the rock, now replace the pencil with your slimer.

fishieness

haha ok. sorry golfish. this is jsut my first sps and i dont want to screw it up is all.
thanks again for your help