Polyp ID?

Hey guys, well it's been a while since I've been here and my tank has been doing pretty well. Acutally, I just bought some polyps yesterday and it seems like I recieved somthing I didn't buy :cheer: . Hehe, so here it is. Anybody have an idea what it is? Here's the picture>

funkyman

The name escapes me right now, but that's not a polyp. It's an anenome. They're not necessarily good news since they can go around stinging other corals and such.
Nice zoos though.

danprospec

I am new to this, so bear with me. Best way to tell if it is a type of Aiptasia Anemone is to try to feed it a small frozen brine or mysis shrimp with tweezers- if it takes the food with its "fingers" and feeds to cented it to the center then you best get rid of it. There are only three ways that I know to get rid of it.
1. Catch it and pull it out with those same tweezers ( kinda difficult but it can be done)
2. using syringe put full strength Klakwasser in and put right up to anemone- it is toxic to them as I undetand it and it will die
3. Get a Copperbanded Butterfly fish and it will take care of it, but watch him with your other corals- may nip from time to time- but if you keep it fed, then they will primarily leave em alone. Best price right now on ine is Jeff's Exotic Fish Small $15.00, Large $25
Best of luck!

Seems to be many different answers, but I assume that it is an manjano. Do you think the kalk with hurt the other zoo's I bought recently? How about boiling water?

danprospec

personnally I would use for the tweezers or the Copperbanded Butterfly, but ONLY if it realy is the pest- if not and it is a different filter feeder ( soft coral) you are fine!!!!
I have not heard of boiling water- but hey it's worth a shot! Again though only if it is a BAD boy

viper_930

Tweezers would probably not work, any little tiny peice ripped off of the anemone and left behind will develope into a new majano. And adding a copperband to take care of a single pest is a little extreme IMO. Copperbands are not 100% reef safe either.
Kalk, boiling water, and lemon juice should all work. And I think Joe's Juice may work too. As for the zoos, minimize the contact with the kalk (screens, current, etc.) and they won't be affected.

Well the reason why I brought up water is because that has been my defense for killing aiptasias (SP).
Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
As for the zoos, minimize the contact with the kalk (screens, current, etc.) and they won't be affected.
I assume this goes for boiling water, just as well? Also curious (just incase boiling water doesn't work), how strong does the kalk paste have to be? Just the normal recommended dosage for __ gallons and get it out of there? Or should I make it a thick, paste like substance?

danprospec

Klak can be reg strngth but use a seringe and put right up to the bad boy and squirt it in the eye.
I am going to try the boiling water if there is a next time with the pests- thanks for the tip!

reefnut

I'm a big fan of using boiling water... it has always worked for me with no mess. It should also do the job here. Do be careful to get all of it off the rock and out of the tank!! Looking at the picture it looks like it would be easy to get to w/o harming the zoos.

kaotik

i have a similar "pest" anemone. (not aptasia) It is not close to anything and not bothering anything either so i decided to leave it. (your case is different)
My question is this...if I were to kill it, will it release any toxins into the water, like other anems, and harm my livestock???

stuckinfla

Originally Posted by XxViEtXjUStiNxX
Well the reason why I brought up water is because that has been my defense for killing aiptasias (SP).
I assume this goes for boiling water, just as well? Also curious (just incase boiling water doesn't work), how strong does the kalk paste have to be? Just the normal recommended dosage for __ gallons and get it out of there? Or should I make it a thick, paste like substance?

You want it like a paste. I tried the boiling water, kalk worked for me.
Kaotik - no toxins.

That's what I thought too, should I get some more shots? I don't wanna destroy somthing that looks cool
. Hm and I think someone said this thing grows pretty rapidly; though I havnen't seen much happening much. Should I just wait? Non of the polyps are extremely close to it yet, so I don't know.