pond 1200 gal

falconred

wet/dry built into the falls, skimmer is i big part of it. nurse shark will be a small one 3'or 4' we should be able to keep it 3years then release it

mattiej

Not to start another flame war but release it where? It is very ILLEGAL to release captive marine animals back into the wild especially in Florida. It is also very unwise to release it regardless of what anyone wants to think.
I do not understand why there is so much misinformation about sharks out there. The simple fact is that unless you can care for the shark its entire life then do not get the shark. This holds true for store owners as well as hobbyists. Read Scott Michael's book and you'll see that a nurse shark in a 1200 gallon pond just won't cut it.

pufferman

1200 is a fairly tiny system when it comes to shark keeping....especially nurse, black-tip....etc Plus you're going to need a huge chiller. I think it's much better if you go with something that doesn't grow to 14 ft... .but it's your pond....so you have the power to do whatever you wish.

pufferman

Yeah....it's not absolutely necessary...depending on where you live and the location of the pond....but still I strongly recommend you to get some kind of chilling system if you're really serious about the health of your shark. It wouldn't hurt, right?

falconred

AND HOW COOL SHOULD IT BE FOR IM NEW TO SALTWATER . are you peaple kidding iv made more fu@% ups than most peaple care to talk about when i was new to the game. ido this stuff for aliving 15yrs and by the way we are vary good at it.

mattiej

I have no doubt that you are good at what you do, that is why I questioned you about keeping a nurse in that size of pond. I was surprised to hear someone who was mentioned in Michael's book seeming to have a cavalier attitude that basically was well when it gets too big I'll just release it. I was surprised as in his book he states, quite plainly, that one should never release any captive animal back into the wild. Correct me if I'm wrong but anyone who has worked with marine animals as long as you have would seem to me to care more about the health of their animals then to attempt what you will do. I would hope you do not turn this into some flame war, I am only asking that you explain to me your reasoning. Of course you are free to tell me nothing. I just feel that a solid and constructive exchange of ideas would serve others better then in the impersonal confrontation that seems to be developing in this post.
I have also worked with sharks and other marine life for many, many years and like you am very good at what I do. The reason I even posted in this thread was because I have seen far too many beginners attempting sharks with little or no research. I have also seen and had to deal with far too many store owners whose only goal was to make as much as they can. Believe me I am not trying to imply, in any way, that you are such a store owner. I am quite sure you are professional and respected. That is why I was curious as to why you were doing this. As you well know customers look to their LFS for advice and guidance and to see an owner attmpting to keep a shark that simply should not be in the hobby, may lead those under-prepared to do the same. I, too, have worked with customers that didn't care what you told them but I have always tried to do the best to educated them as to what they want to do. As you know it is difficult to turn away good money but in the long run what you turn out is a well-informed hobbyist that will be a loyal customer.
I realize that it is very easy for some to set behind a computer screen and seemly attack anybody for any reason. This is not, nor was not, the intention of my post. Again I was surprised that a person of such high regard as yourself was going to do what many of us cring at. I understand that I may have no right to criticize you or your ideas and you would be correct, but I am simply trying to point out that too often these animals are not given the opportunity to live full lives in captivity. I was hoping that more store owners, like yourself, would be willing to educate on what it really takes to successfully maintain sharks in captivity.

falconred

well a nurse shark will live its whole life in a area not much bigger then 100 yds square and sleep in the exact same spot. 99% of the shark kept in a home aquarium are not open water sharks. The floor space for this nurse shark will be 12x12 plenty for this type of shark . sorry its done all the time.