Ponies V.S Horses

rykna

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2790121
I haven't bought anything yet so feel free to tell me why "ponies" should be my choice.
Sue
P.S. Maybe we should post a "poll" .... Horses V.S Sue
Okay seahorse owners, which one is best for Sue to start with.
Ponies(Dwarf Seahorses) Which IMHO are much tougher than their larger cousins.
OR...
Horses(Seahorses) Which, are recommended for Seahorse Beginner's choice to start with. Which IMHO are much more susceptible to disease and stress.
What's you vote, and Why?

novahobbies

Well I'm not voting, 'cause I've never raised ponies! SO it wouldn't be fair for me to say, "definitely horses" without experience for both.
OTOH (because there always is one...) I think H. erectus and H. reidi horses are two very good choices for a beginner interested in horses...maybe the erectus more so. They're pretty tough, large animals that are very active in the water column. H. erectus can sometimes get 7+ inches long, making them one of the larger seahorse sp. in the trade. Feeding is easy with captive bred horses, and they can eat....a lot! My erectus puts away 10-12 mysis shrimp per feeding, while my two reidis only eat 7 or 8 per meal before wandering off. Once every week or so, I supplement their diet with live saltwater feeder shrimp, which they LOVE to hunt down and devour.

dingus890

Horses hands down
.I think they would be easier for Sue.She has already said she does not want to hatch live food,didn't she?

sueandherzoo

Psssssttttttt............just wondering..... am I allowed to vote?

Thanks for starting this, Rykna, and thanks for everyone's vote, input and thoughts. Nova is helping me build the tank but no decisions have been made as to what I'm putting in it yet. After all, it's going to be quite a while before I'm at the stage where I can order the equines. Feel free to state your case - I'm all ears!
Sue

shaunalynna

I voted horses! IMO there whom I like best as far as most natural to watch. I mean there larger "easier to see" and more people know about them then they do dwarfs. I do agree they may be harder to keep as far as if they catch disease "been there done that myself" and getting sick but feeding and tank care there easy! I myself started with my horses, yes I lost one but it happens sometimes, even to the best of keepers. I guess it really is just to what you like best to keep and want!

reefnutpa

Ultimately it's Sue's choice, however, I voted for horses. And in my opinion, Sue, the larger seahorses are not any more prone to illness than any other fish hobbyists keep. The issues that do develop can usually be traced to a limited number of hobbyist-induced causes: keeping at high temps (probably the number one cause of illness), unsuitable tankmates, mixing species, mixing suppliers, mixing WC & CB seahorses and/or pipefish.
Tom

sueandherzoo

Hi Guys, and thanks for all the feedback! I logged on this morning to check the status of the poll and let out a big "Yahooo!!" when I saw the full-sized horses were winning. I guess that's a pretty good indication of where my heart and head were leaning, huh?

I actually purchased a tank last night that I now know will be a horse tank. It's a 46 gallon bowfront and would have been too big if I had gone for dwarves but since I loved the look of it and it was on sale I couldn't resist buying it. I figured even if it weren't a horse tank I would certainly find SOMETHING to do with it so it came home with me. Looks like it's going to be a horse tank!
OK, now off to price Fluval canister filters (unless someone wants to recommend a better one). I think I want to also do a HOB in addition (either for additional filtration or maybe for a fuge?) and I want to do a protein skimmer, but I have to wait on that until after a cycle, right? Getting excited! Maybe I can have a pair of horses by December? I know no one can answer that, it all depends on how well and how fast my tank cycles, how much live rock I get, how much die off I have, etc. but it's FEASIBLE that I could POSSIBLY have a pair by December, right?
Thanks again, and stay with me here - me and the equines are going to need all the advice we can get!
Sue

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by KingSmith
http:///forum/post/2797528
A nice pair of Horses would be a Great Christmas gift to give ones self
Hey there - long time no chat! I agree about the Christmas gift, especially since I talked to Ted (the fish manager at the LFS you and I frequent) and he gets all his horses from ORA - very reputable and captive bred, and I wouldn't even have to worry about having them shipped to me! Once I get to the research stage of figuring out what kind I should get for my first pair he can order anything I want. I'm psyched! Any new purchases lately?
Sue

kingsmith

Yeah Long time how are you? I did recently pick up a mantis(I Love them) so he has become the sole occupent of one of my tanks. I would like to get some horses too but I don't have the room for another tank right now oh well I guess I will just be jealous of yours

rykna

http:///forum/post/2795710
Psssssttttttt............just wondering..... am I allowed to vote?

Thanks for starting this, Rykna, and thanks for everyone's vote, input and thoughts. Nova is helping me build the tank but no decisions have been made as to what I'm putting in it yet. After all, it's going to be quite a while before I'm at the stage where I can order the equines. Feel free to state your case - I'm all ears!
Sue
Of course you can vote!!!! As long as you vote for PONIES!!!!!

sueandherzoo

Oh my word - the horses were pulling ahead but now they are neck in neck with the ponies!!! Wow those poor little buggers are going to be so lost in this 46 gallon I'm setting up! I just got back from the LFS with 40 pounds of live sand and 50 pounds of salt - that should hold me a while. Tomorrow is the day - I'm taking the day off from work to start getting water and sand and stuff in the tank. Then the photo thread can begin. :)
Sue

dingus890

HAHA!The poor little things would get lost in that tank.

Well with buying a 46G you really have already made up your mind.
Polls wont help you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.
So exciting!I love setting up new tanks!
That's why I have 3...lol..I set up one couldnt stop

I keep saying I want to do a pico 3 gallon tank or 5 gallon sometime.But my family thinks I am nuts with 3 tanks already...lol
Congrats!And can't wait to see pics Sue!

dingus890

This is one of the pics that shocked me about their size that I saved when I was looking into Dwarfs:

Such amazing tiny animals!

sueandherzoo

OH MY WORD! That photo with the ponies next to your hand really drives it home - I knew they were small but that truly puts it in perspective!!! Holy crap! How do pony keepers find their pets? They so easily can hide/get lost in plants and rocks and... and..... well - they can get lost behind a power cord!
Yes, I'm going with horses. Being a newbie I need the larger size tank to help me keep the water quality good. And besides, the poll shows horses won, 9 to 7. I must do what I must do.

Sue

rykna

http:///forum/post/2802696
OH MY WORD! That photo with the ponies next to your hand really drives it home - I knew they were small but that truly puts it in perspective!!! Holy crap! How do pony keepers find their pets? They so easily can hide/get lost in plants and rocks and... and..... well - they can get lost behind a power cord!
Yes, I'm going with horses. Being a newbie I need the larger size tank to help me keep the water quality good. And besides, the poll shows horses won, 9 to 7. I must do what I must do.

Sue
They're sooo Cute!!!! From the looks of the size of those ponies they are juveniles, 2-3 months old maybe? They're a lot easier to find once you get used to them.
Think...plot...think...plot...must rig poll next time...

So what's you Horse tank plans?

dingus890

http:///forum/post/2802696
OH MY WORD! That photo with the ponies next to your hand really drives it home - I knew they were small but that truly puts it in perspective!!!
HAHA I know right.They are so cute.I found this pic on Yahoo some time ago and was shocked!
I think you are right Rykna about them being juveniles.

sueandherzoo

LOL No need to rig the poll - nothing says I can't have BOTH horses and ponies, right? Once I get my feet wet with this hobby and feel the need to be more challenged I can always set up a small pony tank too. (looks around and starts scoping out a good spot for another tank.)
The 46 gallon bowfront will be filtered with a shallow bed of live sand, some live rock (not sure how much yet), a Fluval 405 canister, and a HOB refugium/skimmer. Then I want to get a bunch of live plants for aesthetics and for hitching posts and we'll see where this thing goes and grows!
Thanks for your help - I'm going to need lots more of it as this project goes forward. And by the way, I needed more water movement in my tiny Eclipse 12 tank and took your recommendation - I bought an AquaClear and I really like it! It's got a Venturi option and I'm getting all kinds of tiny bubbles oxygenating the water in there as well as lots more surface activity.
I've got a thread started where I will post equipment updates and photos in case anyone wants to tag along. Nothing much to see yet - there's going to be a lot of waiting at this stage of the game. Sure wish I was better at this patience game.
Sue

dingus890

Just remember Sue in Saltwater tanks tiny bubbles are bad.Especially for seahorse tanks with Gas bubble disease.