Ponies V.S Horses

sueandherzoo

Whoops - so I should take off the Venturi option and just let the stronger current oyxgenate the water? We've been trying to figure out why I can't keep a fish alive in the Eclipse 12. Snails do great, feather duster is fine, shrimp is healthy, but I keep losing fish. The ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph are real good..... the fish just die and it's driving me batty! So the latest thought was maybe the Eclipse doesn't produce enough water movement and oxygenation... thus the AquaClear with Venturi option.
(sigh) So frustrating. I'd do just about anything to fix the problem, if only I could FIND the problem! The tiny yellow watchman Goby I put in there Friday night looks like he's starting to breathe heavy. I'll take the tiny bubbles out of there and if that doesn't seem to help I'll do a big water change, even though I just checked and things look OK.
Sue

novahobbies

Hey, I told you to take that venturi thing off when you got up today! ;-)
tiiiiiiiiiiny bubbles.........in my wiiiiine........
<--- goes off humming...

nuzz

Can ponies and horses live in the same tank??
I really don't know much about these little creatures and I'm interested to learn more :)
Kara

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2803436
Hey, I told you to take that venturi thing off when you got up today! ;-)
tiiiiiiiiiiny bubbles.........in my wiiiiine........

I DID take it off when I got up, and then a few hours later when I glanced in the tank I thought I noticed him at the bottom breathing heavy so I put it back on. Then Dingus said they were bad so I took it off. I've turned into a lunatic! I took the "day off" today and have done nothing except tank stuff, setting up the new, trying to figure out what's wrong with the old. Might have actually been fun and relaxing if I wasn't so upset about another dead fish!!!!!
Sue
Sue

zeke92

I picked ponies..not as expensive to get big equipment for big tanks. Plus i know my little belle was a lot tougher then the bigger horses i had.

rykna

Originally Posted by nuzz
http:///forum/post/2803519
Can ponies and horses live in the same tank??
I really don't know much about these little creatures and I'm interested to learn more :)
Kara
The general rule is no. The pony fry are so tiny that their larger cousins, horses, mistake them for mysis shrimp. Another reason is tank size. Most horses need at least a 45 gallon tank. Ponies cannot be kept in large aquariums because they would starve to death trying to find their food, live baby brine shrimp. I've kept ponies in a 29g, but after a week I moved them back into my preferred 15g. I could see the ponies were getting thin.
I have put my horses and ponies together in my 45, but again the main problem was food. For that reason I do not setup horse and pony tanks any more.
What else would you like to know?

nuzz

How much are ponies? I've seen horses at some LFS's, but never ponies... so I guess my next question then is where do I find them?
Kara

zeke92

Very few LFSs get ponies because everyone thinks there so hard and have trouble keeping them. But i always though they were much easier and tougher then the big horses.
So i'd ask your LFS if they can special order some. Or buy some from breeders on here.
There cheaper i believe then normal horses. But the price varies with them by alot it seems.

rykna

Originally Posted by nuzz
http:///forum/post/2806029
How much are ponies? I've seen horses at some
LFS's, but never ponies... so I guess my next question then is where do I find them?
Kara
Before I get into details~ I want to update you on posting links to other online fish stores. I have been given permission to post links to online stores that sell dwarf seahorses because saltwater fish does not currently sell dwarf seahorses. That being said....
How long have you kept salt water tanks, and have you kept seahorses?

sueandherzoo

Oh my - the ponies have taken the lead!!!!!! (Sue starts draining the 46 gallons of water out of the 46 gallon bowfront)
Sue

sueandherzoo

My husband is from Miami and his family is still down there. Next time we go visit, I'll bring it with me. Looks like I better get me a tiny tank for the ponies, huh?
Can't believe ponies took the lead!!!!! Me thinks Rykna DID find a way to rig the voting!

Sue

rykna

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2807127
My husband is from Miami and his family is still down there. Next time we go visit, I'll bring it with me. Looks like I better get me a tiny tank for the ponies, huh?
Can't believe ponies took the lead!!!!! Me thinks Rykna DID find a way to rig the voting!

Sue
Well........not really rigging, just a little input from my next door fishy friend Beth