POO POO Problem

wax32

His profile says he has a 20 gallon. I'm guessing his LFS talked him into all those snails.

mudplayerx

I know that mexican turbo snails need about 10 gallons minimum per snail to get enough algae to eat, but I am not sure about the regular turbo snails.

wax32

Mexican turbos are what I would call a Turbo snail. Astraea snails are sometimes also (incorrectly) called turbo snails. If it's Astraea snails that he has, it's about what is usually recommended, although I don't agree with the usual recommendation. If it's Turbo snails that he has, it's obviously way too many.

konrade

Get an arrow crab it'll clean day and night anything and everything. They are the best cleaners I have ever seen. I wonder why no one recommends them? They are seriously the BEST. ANd they are way more fun to watch. Only one per tank though, usually. They are aggressive and will kill and eat anything they can get their hands on though.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Konrade
I wonder why no one recommends them? They are aggressive and will kill and eat anything they can get their hands on though.

Hehe you answered your own question. That was exactly what I was going to say.

subvillian

Sorry Wax, The post before yours was deleted. That was not geared towards you. The post before yours Suggested offered no help, just that i should do some research about a hobbie i'm so ignorant about. I Also miss represented the idea of a cycle. My idea is that your tank is always cycling, always the removal of Ammonia, nitirtes and nitrate. What is more true to the hobbiest's idea is that a cycle is the initial establishment that brings all these levels to 0 or their respected rating. I apoligize again to the forum for my responce. "DR. ASS" was uncalled for.
I added the damels to influence the increace of bactiera growth. The Turbo snails were added to keep the alge down. In about a month, when I feel the the tank is ready, I will return the damsels to the lfs and buy less hardy fish.

af330i

Originally Posted by SubVillian
I will return the damsels to the lfs and buy less hardy fish.
Those damsels are tough as h*ll to get out of the tank ... I tried the 2 liter bottle method mentioned on this site and it didn't work so I ended up buying a BIG net 7" x 10" and it made it very easy to catch them.