Poor Fish at LFS

ryan115

why is it that fish at the store are kept in such small tanks. I recently went to a store where they had tangs and several pygmy angels in a tank that was somewhere around 20gallons. How is it that these fish can live in such crampt conditions? Ive seen tangs in tanks that were about 5-10 gallons

scubadoo

The owners probably feel that the fish will only be there for a few days so it is okay to place them in a coke can size tank. This is why many of these animals to not make it, as they could be placed in a QT tank after purchase that is too small as well...meaning the animal has lived in cramped quarters for a month or longer.

maeistero

most of our lfs' have tiny 5gal "betta-size" tanks all hooked together for water quality with bigger fish like puffers and lionfish. i notice that the regulars don't die, it's the newest members to the store that can't handle it. it's really equivalent to a huge tank if they're all hooked together.
problem is that some places don't quarantine and infect an entire system. it's good to separate them due to incompatibilities as long as they're safe.

scubadoo

It is the equivalent to a huge tank for filtration purposes...but it is too small for comfort purposes....JMO

whaa...?

my lfs sucks and they keep a lion in a 10 gallon with crushed coral and when it gets crappy they do nothing about it
but i have a reef store thats like a 20 min drive but its worth it so frichen cool!

mj

I agree! We must shop at the same LFS. They are afraid since the Lionfish is venomous. What a shame....