Pop Eye Treatment

sepulatian

Sure, it depends on how bad it is though. Pop eye is an eye infection. If it is bad then the fish will need medication in a cycled QT. If it is only slightly popped and/or cloudy then you can simply build the fish's immune system to help the fish fight the infection itself. To do that you add a rotation of vitamins to their food and be sure that the water quality is very good. I use Vitachem and Zoecon myself. It helps to do several small water changes whether the tank needs it or not.

kingsmith

I am not exactly sure of its validity but I have read that Pop-eye in one eye is generally from and injury where as in both eyes is someother cause such as parasite fungus ect. I have personally treated several cases of single popeye from injury with what Sep described above and it worked quite well, and beleive me I thought that the fish were goners the way they looked. I would imagine a case of double pop-eye not from an injury would more likley require a Hospitalization

florida joe

Pop eye in one eye does not exclude bacterial infection. The immediate cause may be the result of an injury. But that injury may also become infected and need to be treated with antibiotics

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2893636
Its just one eye?
Is it fatal? if not treated?
Think im going out today to buy a 10 gal tank for a QT tank...
If you are going to treat with medication you will have to fully cycle the QT first.
My lion had one eye popped not long ago. I had a malfunctioning piece of equipment which sent a current through the tank. He didn't like it and, I am guessing, scraped his eye on the rock while he was dashing about. It completely healed on it's own with just quality foods dosed in a rotation of Vitachem and Zoecon. I had Maracyn 2 on hand and have two fully cycled QTs. I never had to pull him out, although I did seriously consider it. His eye was not pretty to look at. It is fully healed now.

rebelprettyboy

tanks a lot Florida, King and Sep!
Gonna attack it with diff vitams and more of a viarety of food and give it 2 weeks or so and see if its getting any better. If not then its QT time.
Order a lot of diff things ** eariler.
Cuz of her I had to put off my Light upgrade!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2894145
tanks a lot Florida, King and Sep!
Gonna attack it with diff vitams and more of a viarety of food and give it 2 weeks or so and see if its getting any better. If not then its QT time.
Order a lot of diff things ** eariler.
Cuz of her I had to put off my Light upgrade!
It takes several weeks to treat with vitamins. If you do not have a QT then set one up now so it can cycle. I cannot stress enough how badly this could turn out if you do not cycle the QT prior to antibacterial treatment.

al mc

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2894298
It takes several weeks to treat with vitamins. If you do not have a QT then set one up now so it can cycle. I cannot stress enough how badly this could turn out if you do not cycle the QT prior to antibacterial treatment.
I agree. You are more likely to do harm than good if you decide to stress the fish by moving to a new environment (small QT) that is not cycled. You have a better chance that things will resolve doing nothing but keeping your water parameters pristine. The fish's immune system is fully capable of taking care of this problem if the environment is not adding to the problem.