pop eye

tank a holic

so if yall have been following my green carpet thread......
I finally got a Clarki clown to host my anemone...
he had been fighting for a few days with my tomato, but nothing after he finally hosted
He now has one eye popped out, im not sure if the tomato did it (the tomato trimmed his tail pretty good) or the nem hosting process
will it go away?

garick

should you even be having two different kinds of clowns in one tank? I understood that most will fight to the death over territory.
Popeye isn't really physical dmg is it? I understand it to be a type of bacterial infection, or an issue with excess nitrongen gas saturation in the water. Also I hear it can be viral.
however I'd say ask beth. She seems to be the resident expert.. Just my .02
oops, You mean the eye is popped OUT of the fishes head? or that it has Popeye?
If its popped out. I have no clue if it will go back (maybe not without help).

tank a holic

I was expecting issues between the 2 clowns, it was covered in the other thread
the eye isn't popped out and hanging there, its just bigger and "swolen" looking I'm hoping it will heal up
I dunno

mony97

Agreed, ask Beth if possible. Sorry I cant help much, but I know I would be really stressed out so thought I give my condolences and wish you and the little guy well. How is he doin?

tank a holic

other than the popeye he's doin great, eats good, swims around a little but mostly just chills in the nem
he and the other clown dont fight anymore.... all is well
tried to get a pic but they arent coming out very well

Hey tank- am an idiot newbie but I was told by multiple people that clowns will stop eating if anything is off at all so I would think his popeye isnt too big of a deal and dossnt bother him . I would think if it was something that was serious that wasnt the type of thing that would heal up ok he wouldnt be eating? More of a question than a comment....well both I guess lol

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He may well need antibiotics, which can not be administered in a reef tank. Do you have a quarantine tank?
Try doing small daily water changes for now. Also feed this fish with meaty foods soaked in FRESH garlic. See the info on garlic and pop-eye in the FAQ Topic, in the Disease Forum.
I'm moving your topic to Disease.

tank a holic

to update.... I have been feeding garlic enriched mysis shrimp and the eye is getting better, the tail is also growing back and he seems very happy
thanks beth

mony97

Glad to hear the little guy is doing better!! Man that would stress me out, having to see him like that everyday, poor guy..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Good news. Keep doing small daily water changes, and feed that garlic. Fresh garlic, when used immediately, has natural antibiotic qualities to it....which you won't find in the bottled garlic sold in the hobby.