porcelain and sally lightfoots

team2jndd

I had a decorator for about 4-5 months and he was awesome. he covered himself with orange sponge. he looked like a block of cheddar cheese. He just died recently. My guess is he starved because my levels are fine and I havent lost anything in the tank since I started it. Do they live long?

team2jndd

Its almost 100 lbs in a 60 bow. The tanks full of live rock. I used to hand feed him so I dont see how he starved but, i dont know how else he could of died. I first bought him because the lfs he was in was terrible and he was dieing. I didnt think hed make it but he lasted alot longer than I thought he would. It cant be that he wasnt healthy if he lasted that long.

fedukeford

it could have been that he was slowly dieing, but he deffinatly didnt starve to death with that much live rock

oxbeard

Originally Posted by team2jndd
Its almost 100 lbs in a 60 bow. The tanks full of live rock. I used to hand feed him so I dont see how he starved but, i dont know how else he could of died. I first bought him because the lfs he was in was terrible and he was dieing. I didnt think hed make it but he lasted alot longer than I thought he would. It cant be that he wasnt healthy if he lasted that long.
Maybe if the he had been the bad conditions for a while at the LFS, some damage had already been done and shortened his life even though he perked up for a while in the better environment you provided.

mudplayerx

Sally lightfoot crabs are a bad choice for a reef tank in my opinion. Once they grow large they become extremely agressive, killing anything they can catch. They are very adept at catching fish at night while they are sleeping.
Don't get me wrong, they won't exibit this behavior when they are juvenile.

coralph

I have had sallys for 3 years and never lost a fish to them yet. Maybe I am lucky,and it would only take once and they would be gone. Sone of mine have gotted quite large too.