porcelain crab

infalable

Thinking of buying a reef pac that has a procelain crab. I dont know much about these. I have a 46 gal reef. Some hard and soft corals and shrimp, brittles, peppermints, sallys, and emeralds. Any concerns with a porcelain in this tank?

speg

None. Is it a anemone crab (the white ones) or a blackish/brownish porcelain?
Both are pretty safe in the tank and don't really cause any problems. Sometimes anemone crabs will bother their host anemone, but nothing too serious.
I've personally never had any luck with keeping one alive. They try to filter-feed (weird for a crab right?) and it could be tough making sure they get enough food.

aquaknight

If those brittle star is green, I would strongly suggest getting rid of them. Otherwise, he should be fine. Though we spot fed our Porcelain mysis, so with all the other inverts in there, that might be a little tough.

tur4k

I've never had a problem with my Porcelain Anemone Crabs. I have one living in my Torch coral and one that goes back and forth between my Bubble Tip Anemone and my Bubble Coral. I love the way these guys filter feed. They are cool little crabs. Hence why I have one in my avatar.

tur4k

Originally Posted by Infalable
http:///forum/post/3272816
Thinking of buying a reef pac that has a procelain crab. I dont know much about these. I have a 46 gal reef. Some hard and soft corals and shrimp, brittles, peppermints, sallys, and emeralds. Any concerns with a porcelain in this tank?

I would actually be more concerned about the sallys and emeralds. I had a Sally that constantly picked at my Christmas tree rock. I wasn't too broken up when it some how made it into my overflow and died.
It always seems like my emeralds are poking or prodding some coral. I even saw one try to attack my Royal Gramma.