porcupine problem

harman

i have a porc puffer that i have had for about 8 months. he has grown very fast, and eats whole krill. the past 2 days he acts like it is hard to eat. when he goes to suck in the food nothing happens. it's like he can't open his mouth all the way. when it hits the bottom of the tank, he will nibble on it. has anyone heard of this. there is no external signs of problems, and he is still very active. he looks like he is trying to suck up the krill but can't suck hard enough(if that makes any sense). help please, he has been alot of fun and would really hate to lose him. thank you:( :confused:

jerrybsal

You say you have had him for 8 months,Is krill the only thing he eats? This is a very common problem with puffers that are only fed krill.Krill is a very good food source but daily feeding usually leads to this.Some fish can eat this stuff forever others eventually get this problem similar to yours were the fish seems like no longer has the strength to open his mouth. If this is the problem there really is no cure unless you can find a way to force feed him some meatty food.If there is no visible parasite and the fish is really trying to eat without opening his mouth my guess is vitamin deficency.Good luck but it does not sound good.