porcupine puffer question

addisondav

I have a 46 gallon tank with a clownfish and a yellowtailed damsel. I want to get a small porcupine puffer to go in there but i don't know if they are compatible? I heard they are venomous is that true? thanks for any help

lion_crazz

That fish is too big for that tank. He will need more room than that as he grows. They are a bit aggressive in smaller enviroments.
They are only venomous if other fish eat them.

buddahjon

Originally posted by lion_crazz
That fish is too big for that tank. He will need more room than that as he grows. They are a bit aggressive in smaller enviroments.
They are only venomous if other fish eat them.

or if you try to eat them :D

H

hewetton

First of all, porcupine puffer is poisonous, not venomous. You could keep him in 46 for quite a while (with a moderate feeding), but eventually you'll need something bigger than 75....hopefully something like 120....

lion_crazz

Originally posted by hewetton
First of all, porcupine puffer is poisonous, not venomous. You could keep him in 46 for quite a while (with a moderate feeding), but eventually you'll need something bigger than 75....hopefully something like 120....

You're right. I was inaccuarte in diction.

liontamer

In all not a good idea, cuz it will be fine for a few monthes, then get really aggressive and begin knocking off osme of his fish buddies in the tank. They do best in 180 gallons though do to their size and ability to produce quite a large bioload

cgpuffers

I am going to knock off a few things said here. In every puffer I have seen, I think I have seen little to no aggression, even in the the smallest of tanks. I have yet to see a "killer puffer" although they do take well to eating MUCH smaller fish. You could house him in it for quite a while then you would need to upgrade to atleast a 90 gallon.