Porcupine Puffer Question

mryoung7

Everything I've read says that cleanup crews don't last long with a porcupine puffer. So do you just add a new cleanup crew every once in a while or is there some other kind of tankmate that can keep the aquarium clean and not get eaten?
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. Thanks in advance!

P

puffer97

there is no such thing as a stupid question. and any inverts in the tank will get eaten. but i do not know of a fish that will help srry.

prime311

Cleanup crew in a fowlr is more for looks then utility. I have a Choco Star, Short Spined Urchin, and Hermit Crabs my puffer leaves alone(for now at least).

indy2009

I would have to disagree, maybe I was just lucky I have a por puffer going on 3 months now got him when he was a size of a quarter, he is now about 4 inches he has never eatten any of my pep shrimp or other cleanup crew, I try and feed him twice daily, fresh scallops, fresh shrimp, and fresh Tuna. I recently got a undulated trigger within 2 days all my shrimp are now gone total of 13. I believe if well feed your more than likely not going to have any issues..good luck with your puffer...

P

puffer97

a friend of mine had one and it ate 2 grand worth of corals and inverts

U

usirchchris

You might get lucky with a porc and inverts or you might not, but you can increase the chances IMO by having the inverts in first. Add them after the fish, and the fish will automatically think it is food when you add them.

cafero702

I think i got lucky with mine i feed my porc puffer once a day sometimes every other day he will only eat krill that is it ive tried soaking the krill in viatemins he will not touch it if it isnt normal krill ive had him since he was a baby and now he is about 7" to 8" long. Ive kept him with large hermit crabs starfish snails cleaner shrimp and he has never once eaten or even nipped at anything. I now have him in a semi coral tank i have about 8 corals some large some small with him he has never nipped at anyhting even when hes hungry.

mryoung7

thanks for all the info. my tank is too small for one at the moment but it will be useful when i'm able to upgrade.