Porcupine Puffer requirements and feeding

angelgirl

I just brought home my new puffer, I am looking for advise on feeding and any other requirements
thanks all
Angelgirl :happyfish

boozzbro

a wide variety of meaty foods and some hard shelled ones to help wear down their teeth. Some good ones are raw shell on shrimp, scalops, clam in the shell, raw shell on crab, squid, gut loaded ghost shrimp, and some silversides.
other than that and decent water quality the only requirements are that you have a large tank (about 100 gal) because they get big.
you also need to keep up with the water changes becasue they are messy eaters and can casue your parameters ammonia and nitrates to increase.

martyna

Ive got mine eating krill, silversides (both with garlic) and some other frozen cubes (forget the name, maybe marines best or something like that?)
But they are VERY messy eaters, ive been trying to think of a way to clean it up a lil bit

cgrant

I had a 9" golden and a 7" porky in my 210 and they were very easy to take care of. I fed them krill, mysis cubes, chockle, seaweed select cubes, etc.
They basically ate whatever i fed them. Just make sure you soak it for some vit's.
Puffer have a great personality, they are like having a dog, very playful.

boozzbro

they also have a tendancy to spit at you. Once they figure out that you are the source of food theyll spit water at you until you give them what they want. The can get some distance too. my porcupine puffer got some water about 5 feet away from the tank this morning. And the other day i got poped right in the face.
Its pretty funny.

cgrant

my 9" golden used to do that all the time, he used to get me good at times to! Especially when it was feeding time, he was spoiled so if i didnt feed him fast enough he would spit at me. I kinda miss him but going reef so the puffers had to go.