Porcupine puffer vs spiny boxfish

hcsogrl

I have a 40 gallon tank with a clownfish, gramma, 2 domino damsels, bar goby, and a choc chip starfish. I really really want to add a porcupine puffer or spiny boxfish to the group. Does anyone know if they would be compatible together? If so, which is more recommended? Thanks :help:

boozzbro

a 40 gallon tank is too small for both of the. Also they have similar body types which usually leads to fighting. I know the porcupine puffer need at least 75 gal if not 100 gallons to be comfotable. the spiny box is a little bit smaller but still i think its too big for that tank.
You may want to try a sharpnose puffer type like a valentini puffer. they stay small and still have the puffer personality.

jon321

Any puffer my pick at the star and a porc of spiney would certainly eat every last fish in your tank.
Jon

stanlalee

the only puffers you can do are toby/sharpnose (hawaiian spotted, hawaiian blue, valentini, honeycomb ect). not sure if the starfish would be immune to getting nipped though. the other fish are fast and feisty enough to get out the way. Porcupine is definately out the question as they grow a foot and a half. Spiney box doesn't grow quite as big but not a hardy fish and both will eat the rest of your livestock.