porcupine puffer...

puff daddy

I have a puffer that hasnt eaten in 2-3 days. I am worried about him and was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this and what did you do? The nitrates are a little high and i thought this might be why i am doing water changes regular and trying to get them back down. HELP.

aw2

We'd need info on your tank. Size, filtration, water speces, tank mates, etc.

puff daddy

Originally Posted by AW2
We'd need info on your tank. Size, filtration, water speces, tank mates, etc.

Sorry... 36 gal bow front, Emp 200 on back and a small skimmer i dont remember the name. No tank mates.
Everything looks good except the nitrates which are high and i am trying to get in order.
One more thing i noticed just a few minutes ago. looks like he has a tooth or a fat lip hard to tell showing on his top lip, so to speak, that i never noticed before. He eats really good normally nevr had any problems until now.

boalgf

Hey there. Porcs are great fish. Your tank is incredibly small for one though. What size is the puffer now? Porcs have beaks that can overgrow if they don't have hard shelled foods to eat (snails, shrimp in skin, crabs). It could be your porcs beak is overgrown. Though you must have a small porc to be in a 36...
Fact is, you need to get rid of the puffer or get a much bigger tank. 100+ gallons. Porcs get to around 18 inches long and are messy. You will always have a nitrate problem with him in a tank 4 sizes too small. Until he dies that is.