Porcupine Puffer

torra03

I need some advice I just got my Porcupine Puffer yesterday and he was doing great swimming back n forth.This morning hes just been on the bottom of my tank and moving around very little should i be concerned or is this normal?

rslinger

ok. No tank mates yet i am assuming. What kinda of lights? how long has tank been set up? 32 pounds of live rock isn't a lot. I would test water for ammonia, nitite and nitrate asap. do turn the lights off as that will help with some of the stress he is in. do his eyes look cloudy at all? has he ate since you got him. puffers are very personal fish. laying around is normal for a little while when new but, i think we need answers to the other questions to know for sure. also try to arange the little live rock into a cave for it to hide out in while he is stressed.

torra03

i just have regular lighting on my tank correct no tank mates yet and the tank has been up n running for 6weeks his eyes are not cloudy he ate very little last night i tested my water n its ok

torra03

by the way i do have a small 20gallon tank that has been running for over a year n has plenty of live rock should i put him in that tank for now n let my bigger tank cycle longer

rslinger

maybe? what else is in the 20 gallon? What does you water test at are you showing any nitrates? i would defintly build him a cave and turn the lights off. also have you checked the temp of the water or sg?

torra03

well i have checked everything n its with in tolerance but i think i will go ahead n just put him in my smaller tank for now

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by torra03
http:///forum/post/2905091
I need some advice I just got my Porcupine Puffer yesterday and he was doing great swimming back n forth.This morning hes just been on the bottom of my tank and moving around very little should i be concerned or is this normal?
I did not read the other posts (so forgive me if this has already been said), but unless it is somehow stressed...water parameters...tank mates...this is very normal. Puffers are nocturnal hunters for one, and alot of times they just "relax" sitting at the bottom doing nothing but breathing.

torra03

thanks that makes me feel alot better because now he is moving around a little more but like u said mainly just breathing will see how he does tomorrow...

crypt keeper

my blue spotted hawaiian sleeps on the sand bed in the same spot every night. during the day it is real active though.