Porcupine puffer.

mitch 65

I just got a baby porcupine puffer and he has not eaten anything and I am going on day 3. He also is just on the bottom of the tank. I can see he has a ick spot on his fin.. Is this from stress of a new home.? Should I take him out and Quarantine him? Or will this just make home more stressed?

tonysi

Ooo that's not good. I always make sure the fish eat before I buy. What have you tried to feed him?

mitch 65

Half shel clams.. Like I said it's only the second night. Am I over reacting. Is he just stressed from his move.? Should I Separate him from the tank and give him coper for his ick or just let it play out?

tonysi

Try shrimp or squid, also it could be that he is nervous of his surroundings. Is his tail and fins tucked up against his body? How is his color?- pale, dark,?

mitch 65

I just put him in a separate tank. With the same water. He is just treading water fins are out and swimming but when he was in the same tank his fins were kinda tight. And he was in a c shape.

tonysi

Ok, ya your puffer was showing signs of distress either from his new surroundings or just nerves. Puffers show signs just like dogs would ex: tail tucked in. Keep an eye on him for a couple of days in the qt and treat him with a dewormer cause 8 out of ten puffers that come in to lfs have em. Try feeding him again tomorrow mid day or early evening.

zoidberg01

In my experience porcupine puffer will only move a lot when they are hungry they mostly lay in one spot. If he has ick remove him and give him a 40 day treatment in the quarantine and if the fish get it u have to do the same medication

zoidberg01

Copper is pretty good and someone I know said carbon is pretty good but I don't know if its right. My baby porcupine puffer is spoiled he only eat hermits but I hope when mine gets older can adapt to a captive diet

geridoc

Carbon does nothing for ich, and I'm still not convinced that you had an ich problem. If the fish has nothing on it right now and is in quarantine, just keep him there for several weeks. If it has ich, it will reappear and you can do hypo or copper then. Just try to get it eating and feeling secure for now.

mitch 65

Thank you all for your help. I am happy to announce he is now eating. Not a lot but it's a start.. Now I no this is probably a dumb question, in my tank I have a cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp and a star fish. Now my puffer is only 2". Do you think I should find new homes for my invertebrates or should I see what happens. I've red that people have had puffers not " clean house". Is it worth the risk? Or is it just prolonging the inevitable?

tonysi

Good to hear he is eating. On that note, one day you might go to check on your tank and find the shrimp and starfish gone. I'm not saying he will definitely eat them but it is a possibility. Another thing puffers are predators and once they get their bellies full they will just hang out until they are hungry again-they don't need to be fed every day unless it is very little each day.

jay0705

Have to agree.they eat inverts. If your feeding it correctly thats what he is eating, shrimp, clam, squid, to a lesser extent fish. Lol so its just live food