Porites?

jawfish101

This may be a stupid question, but could anyone tell me what a Porites is? I got some with my new Ricordea, and i'm not really sure what it is.
Thank you.

dutch06

I have a porites rock that my X-mas tree worms live in. It's not very interesting. The rock that is, the worms are cool as can be.
Here's what another site says about them.
The Porites Coral can live in a variety of lighting conditions, ranging from power compacts, VHO, T-5's up to the more intense metal halides. Alter their position in the aquarium depending on the lighting. In an aquarium lit by metal halides, Porites Corals should be kept in a mid to low position; under other lighting they should be kept in a mid to high position. To bring out the most intense coloration of this coral, we recommend metal halide lighting. For continued good health, they will require the addition of a two part calcium and buffer supplement in order to maintain a calcium level of 400-450 ppm and dKH of 8-12. They will also benefit from additional food fed weekly in the form of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates

dogstar

Porites is the genus name within the family Poritidae that includes Alveopora and Goniopora.
Many different species of Porites and IMO most are sort of boreing although some do come in bright greens and reds with intresting shapes from encrusting to wafer/shelves and branching like staghorns.
One common found is P. lobata because its often collected hosting the Xmas worms.

jawfish101

Thanks! yeah, i have a montipora that host's xmas tree worms, they are really cool. Thanks again for the info!
(the porities is kind of boring!)