posable spike... water change?

beaver

Just checked my water and its seems there is a posable spike in amonia and nitrites.. its hard to tell since I have the red sea test kits and they kinda suck. I have read them incorectly before in the same way. I trip out and its hard to tell the colors apart on the low end readings hehe. Fish seem fine, though the clown is swimming back in forth alot (dosent seem too abnormal) . I just put the clown and a sleeper goby in there 2 days ago and they have been well. Other 2 fish are compeatly normal. My options are" take some water down to LFS and have them check it or, do a small water change. (Just changed about 10% the day before yesterday. Sugestons?

speg

Yeah take a water sample to the LFS for them to check it for you.. most around me do free tests to regular customers.. or some charge like less than a buck.
What size tank you got?
Do you have too many critters for the tank?
Do you overfeed?
Get tested - if you're high, do a 10-15% water change - try to correct any overfeeding/dosing.

beaver

Well I dont think I over feed, I typicaly feed once a day and not much food at that. Its always all gone in less then 5 mins. I was thinking more that new fish could have jacked it up a little, im gona take some down to the LFS then and set my heart at ease.

beaver

LFS said the ammonia was a little high. .22 I think they said. The guy said he wouldnt worry about it.. let it get right on its own. I did about a 2 gallon water change any way lol. im gona let it settle and check it agine on my own. At least I know I can read my kit right. Also everything besides ammonia was fine, Nitrates, nitrites. Ph was a little low, but thats not a huge deal its been low in my tank. I started with tap water, I switched to RO/DI water for water changes So I think it will get better on its own. What do you all think.. Should I do anything aside from the water change that I just did?

speg

Oh, and you could buy some ammonia detox for a quick fix too.. it probably wont remove the ammonia but it'll detoxify it.. will still show up on ammonia tests but wont be in a toxic form ... blah blah

who dey

it will come down. i added a tang 3 days agao and my ammonia has risen a bit. but will go down in a few days when biological filter equals out to the increased bioload. you will be ok. just watch how much you add at once

beaver

I think your right, Put 2 fish in there the a few days ago, its just ammoina atm nothing more, Im going to feed less the next few days I think. Probly half as much or less. The only fish that seems a little wacked is the clown, I put a power head in there yesterday and I wonder if his swiming around is becuse of the new curent. He just seems more active then he was. The others all seem very happy though. Crossing fingers, hope no fish die

PS to sperg: I have a 29 gal, about 12 pounds of live rock and 15 of base lava rock, Im hoppeing it will sead and help with the filtration. My filter is crap its a hang on the back bio wheel set up. I use to use it on my fresh water before. My skimmer is in the mail :) may 19th it will be here. Its a cheep JEBO 180 but its only 29 gals I should be good to go with that if I can figure how to break it in and set it up :notsure: I was under the impretion that adding more live rock would start a mini cycle in my tank so I just put some base in there to seed. Is this the case?
As for fish I have: 1: domino damsel 1:scooter bellny 1:sleeper goby 1:small per clown. 1:camle shrimp 1: sally light foot crab 1: emerald crab 3: blue leg hermits 4: snails.