Possible Achilles problem

al mc

I have had an Achilles Tang for over a year in my two year old 156 gallon tank. Water parameters: temp 79-80; pH 8.3; ammonia/trites 0; 'trates' range from 2.5-5; SG 1.026. Nothing has been added or died for over 6 months. Last water change was about 10 days ago....35 gallons. He/she does not seem to be under any stress, if anything, he/she seems to be king of the tank.
Problem: He/she has not eaten for 2 days. He/she usually attacks the
'dried seaweed' when I put it in 2x daily and spends the day pecking at algae on the LR.
Question: I know to soak the food in garlic/vitamins...At what point do I pull out and put into QT for closer observation if everything else appears to be OK. Five days of not eating? 10 days?
Thanks Al

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Al, have you given this fish a thorough look over with a magnifying glass. If not, do so. Look very closely at every detail on the fish; red lungs, irregular breathing, any red marks on the body, etc.

kjr_trig

My Achilles in my previous tank was about 6 years old (4 of those with me) when he had an odd feeding strike, same circumstances, no new fish, no deaths, small amount of nitrates (which was typical in my FO wet/dry setup). He went about 5 days as I recall, I just kept trying everything, and he eventually started eating again, his foods of choice were seaweed, mysis and brine....He lived another year after that. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't pull him into QT unless he seems stressed, that might only make it worse. Like you, my Achilles was the undisputed King of the Tank....Good luck, keep us updated.

al mc

Beth and Kjr..Thanks for your posts. I am working late tonight and will try to get a closer inspection with a magnifying glass tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest. Maybe I will just get 'lucky' and he will be eating in the morning. I will keep you posted.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you can get some digital up close shots up, we could maybe also lend you a few more eyes.

al mc

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2575840
If you can get some digital up close shots up, we could maybe also lend you a few more eyes.
I will try but I am not that computer/tech savy. Maybe I can get my daughter or wife to do it for me. That way you may actually be able to see something.

al mc

First...Thanks Tizzo for posting my pics.......

Sep...There are no spots, just debris in the water/artifacts. All the other fish are acting/looking normal. He/she is picking at the rocks again but still cruises up to se the seaweed on the veggie clips but does not take a bite. I do think he/she looks a little thinner.

al mc

My wife just called me to say he/she is gingerly picking at the clipped seaweed some. Funny how little things like that can brighten your day.
Still would like to try to fugure out what was the problem.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2577887
My wife just called me to say he/she is gingerly picking at the clipped seaweed some. Funny how little things like that can brighten your day.
Still would like to try to fugure out what was the problem.
I am glad that he is eating again. There may not have been a problem, or not a significant one. Fish, as with any pet, do not necessarily have to aggressively eat every day.

T

tizzo

Not a prob. I'll post em whenever you need.
I was gonna say gas, but I figured I'd give Beth and Sep a chance first, but since they didn't...
It was gas. Your tang had a belly ache.
There's only so many greens one can eat ya know....
Glad he's better.
(For the new hobbiests, all of the above is a joke. greens are not bad for tangs.
)

al mc

Unfortunately, I came home from work today to find the Ahchilles DOA. Parameters are good and everything else seems fine. I could not find anything on a post mortem, but I admit I am better with dogs/cats than fish.
He/she was in my DT for about 1.5 years......

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2602894
Unfortunately, I came home from work today to find the Ahchilles DOA. Parameters are good and everything else seems fine. I could not find anything on a post mortem, but I admit I better with dogs/cats than fish.
He/she was in my DT for about 1.5 years......

Ah, I am so terribly sorry. How had he/she been doing?

al mc

Thanks Sep. Never really ate voraciously since my original problem about two weeks ago. Was picking at seaweed sparingly and did not seem to regain his/her 'master of the tank' attitude. Mystery to me. While I think they are beautiful fish I will probably stick with hardier species in the future. Live and learn.
PS...I always think my daughter will be crushed with the loss of a treasured pet...Her response...When are we getting another one?
There must be an 'Idiot's Guide to Parenting'..going to Borders tomorrow to look for one (she is 10).

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2602905
PS...I always think my daughter will be crushed with the loss of a treasured pet...Her response...When are we getting another one?
There must be an 'Idiot's Guide to Parenting'..going to Borders tomorrow to look for one (she is 10).
Yep, that is kids for you! I am glad that she was not too heartbroken though. That can be tough.