possibly a hard one (id plz)

frogdog

i got this superman monti yesterday, and noticed something slightly protruding out of a small hole. its moving around alot inside its hole, and causing the coral to 'slime' quite a bit.
what is this thing?
Its hard to get a pic of it as my camera is a PoS. i can post more if needed.
thx for looking

spanko

Better description might be in order here. What do you mean moving around in the hole? Have you seen it? If so describe what it looks like please.

frogdog

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2937365
Better description might be in order here. What do you mean moving around in the hole? Have you seen it? If so describe what it looks like please.

my wife says it's almost insect like LOL. Like a caterpillar.
I cant really see it,
And by 'moving around". its just chilling with is head barely protruding, and it kinda just barely moves side to side. You can also see its mouth open and close, like a snail.
thte wife just said she just saw it poop. LOl

mr.clownfish

oh i have 2 of those on my bubble coral. i herd somewhere they are some kind of snails they have a slimy net thing they expel to catch food. they are harmless and IMO they are beneficial.

frogdog

i really hope Mr. Clownfish is right. I just called the LFS that i bought it from, and he told me to kill it just to be safe. i would rather avoid doing that if possible, because for one, i dont want to kill something that might be harmless, and two, I might damage this beautiful coral trying to kill him...

jackri

I dunno.. when in doubt -- take it out. Definately do more research if you plan on letting it be.

frogdog

it does appear as if the slime is coming from the creature, but can this slime cover the monti and cause damage? It looks like the slime collects on the back of the monti, which so happens to look dead, or not so great...

mr.clownfish

dont worry about it. the slime covers some of my corals too, the slimy nets break apart after a couple of minutes. the flow of the water breaks them. feed ur tank some flakes and see if it catches some in its net, if it does catch some food dont worry its really good. mine only expels its net when i feed the tank.

frogdog

I tried grabbing him w/ pointed tweezers, but he retract into his hole before i can get him. I them tried stabbing with a toothpick, but his hole is deep enough for him to escape.
How can i get him?
Guy at LFS said to put superglue gel into his hole, but this superman monti wanst cheap. A rotting snail, trapped inside the coral doesnt sound too good to me...

jpa0741

Originally Posted by bluto643
http:///forum/post/2942014
hey...don't kill it...its a tiny brittle star.
Not a brittle star. I would say the ID above is correct, vermetid snail. Like stated your best bet would be to superglue it. Won't hurt a thing and your monti will cover it in no time.

valgae

can you do an iodine dip? i don't think i would be too concerned about saving this hitchhiker if it is irritating your sps.

mr.clownfish

i killed mine too. they where getting a bit annoying.
i took a toothpick and i jammed it in there i broke the shell and killed the snail.