possibly getting two Kellogis

krazekajin

I am an experienced reef keeper. I am interested in branching out into seahorses. My LFS has Kellogis in and I am looking into getting a pair. What size aquariums would be good for these horses. What other parameters are needed. I know all about hitching posts, currents, compatable corals/fish. I know the basics, now I am interested in some specifics.
Thanks.

poniegirl

Hi Krazekajin.
Kelloggi are fairly large SH who can be fairly deep water species. The depth they live in probably depends upon their individual size. They will grow to 7 inches or so, but can grow larger. Your tank should accomodate 3X+ their maximum adult height if there is any chance you might end up with a breeding pair.
Temp, 72 to 78 degrees, 1.022 to 1.025 sg would do for a range.

I have never kept this kind myself so I cant help much but I have heard they have a very short life span....I have seen posts here and there.....not trying to discourage u or anything, just wanted to share what I have read.
Good luck with your seahorse adventure, it is so fun!!!

yeah I have read it in a few posts. I "think" one may have been from Rykna when she did som research on them. sorry
I just wanted to share

teresaq

yes from what I have been reading latley, people have been having problems keeping kellogi. I agree with the lower temps, keep them in the lowwwww 70s.
It prob would not hur to worm them either. they are prob net or pen raised.
Teresa

rays862

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2464515
yes from what I have been reading latley, people have been having problems keeping kellogi. I agree with the lower temps, keep them in the lowwwww 70s.
It prob would not hur to worm them either. they are prob net or pen raised.

Teresa
People having been having better results with longevity.